Monday, January 04, 2010

Mommy guilt

I recently scored a hank of self-striping Vesper sock yarn. I have been coveting this yarn for a very, very long time but I can never seem to get it. But on this one day I managed to be home when the site updated, remember my pay-pal account info, and find a colorway that I really loved.

I was so happy when the yarn arrived that I left it out as decoration. That's how much I adored it. I planed to knit up some cute striped socks as soon as I finished my February Lady sweater.

That happened last night.
As soon as I wove in the very last end on my sweater, I started winding the hank of my sweet Vesper yarn. I had some trouble with the swift and got a huge tangle. In all it took almost an hour to get the ball wound. But that didn't damper my excitement about my soon to be knit socks. Even discovering that this was hand wash and dry yarn couldn't diminish my love for it.

After another half hour of wrangling, I managed to get the ball split into two even balls and matched up the stripes. Right as I finished up, Anders walked in.

Now this child rarely notices my knitting or yarn in particular. He never comments on what I'm working on. And although he is quite appreciative of what I make for him, he has never come out and asked me to knit anything for him.
Until last night.

Last night, he walked in and went straight to the red, blue, and lime yarn I had just wound, picked up a ball, and asked, "Whose yarn is this? I like this yarn?"
Selfish mother that I am, answered that it was my yarn and then proceeded to cast on 72 stitches for my striped stockinette socks. My dear son who is the most selfless creature I have ever known, didn't seem to be disappointed at all.

However, after 6 rows my mommy guilt kicked in and I ripped out all the rows. I immediately cast on 60 stitches for a smaller foot and knit until bedtime.

He's thrilled at the progress.

6 comments:

Amnicon Studio said...

I have had the same thing happen to me. :-) A lot of times when I'm working on socks I get the "can you make me a pair?"

Pensguys said...

Awwww.....will you be at PE so I can see them on Thurs?

Dy said...

Those will be the warmest socks ever - for his feet, and for your heart. :-)

Becca said...

Vesper is such fun to knit!! The socks will fly because you'll think "just one more stripe". I've been wearing mine a lot lately and thinking I need to knit up more pairs. I see it being destashed frequently on Ravelry if you have trouble catching updates. Wednesday afternoons seem to be her pattern. I can't wait to see them.

Hopewell said...

You're a great Mom!! Hope he loves them!

nisha said...

So, are you gonna post pictures somewhere that I can see em????