ACU stands for Army Combat Uniform and they are the newish digital camo uniforms that soldiers wear. They are very different from the old BDU's (Battle dress uniform) that he wore last time he was in the Army.
These are particular and they have Velcro. A lot of Velcro.
Every Sunday, I round up his uniforms and pull all the Velcro patches off them. Then I zip the jackets closed and press down all the Velcro on all the pockets. There are a lot of pockets but there's more Velcro than pockets.
When I finish those tasks, I turn the jackets and pants inside out and wash them on the permanent press setting. Then they dry.
When that's done, it's time to "snap" them to get the wrinkles out and do a little ironing to touch up some of the more stubborn areas.
Then I have to put all the patches back into the right places. ZD teases me because I mumble to myself as I stick everything back where they are supposed to be.
On the left arm, the patch for his current unit... the one he hasn't "left."
On the right arm goes the flag so it's facing forward. Under it goes a combat patch so he's not "light on the right."
Rank on the square in the middle right were it can be seen.
US Army goes over his heart because that's where it belongs. Above that go the Airborne wings.
And then his name is last on the right. Then I hang the completed sets to be worn.
I repeat this several ties until all the uniforms are ready. Unit he hasn't left, flag goes forward, not light on the right, rank in the middle, Army and wings on his heart, last name.
I really don't look forward to all the work involved each week, but I like to think that there are lot of other military wives that are repeating this same ritual all around the world.
And it makes me proud to be part of that.
3 comments:
And we, a grateful nation, are are happy there are men and women who want to serve, to protect and defend....and spouse for them who do laundry and try to enjoy it. Nice post.
Thanks to both of you: To him for serving our country by keeping us safe - To you: for making sure he is prepared to do his job. Great thoughts on the ritual.
@juliebavi
LOL And to think that I was thankful when I no longer had SEW patches on. However, hubby washes his ACUs at work, and I rarely even see them, so I can't say I have anything to say to this. I DO love your rhyme, though. I think it should be copied and passed out to all Army wives, everywhere. That way, we could stop asking our hubbies where everything goes!
Post a Comment