Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Trying very hard to not be bitter and failing.....total fail

When I married ZD, he was in the Army. My Dad was worried that when I got married, ZD would take me far, far away and my poor Dad would never see me again.

ZD took me four hours away to the armpit of NC. Yes, I know. NC is a beautiful state. It has mountains and beaches. It has major cities and small towns with fabulous personalities and charm. But I didn't live anywhere near any of those. I lived in Fayetteville, which the locals called "Fayette-nam" and is the birthplace of Putt-Putt Golf and games.

Then after a couple of years in exile there, we came back home and I've been here ever since.

Yep, that's my Army life. I have been nowhere and seen nothing.

ZD, however, does get to travel. He's TDY all over the place. He's been to Arizona and got to visit Tombstone. He's climbed up Mt Rainier in Washington. He's taken trips to Germany where he's already served a tour and got to see the sights.
But I haven't been able to go any of those places.

To be transparent, he's also see the battlefields in Iraq and Kuwait. He's flown over decimated towns in Bosnia. And he's lived in "less than ideal" conditions in the sand, in the heat, and in the bitter cold.
So it hasn't all been scenery and good food.

But this current TDY has me thoroughly annoyed. He's going to Hawaii for a week. Poor thing.
He actually complained about it also.
"I'm going to be flying all around the islands to visit different sites. You know how I hate helicopters."

After I exploded on him, he stopped complaining.

I can't go with him. I never can go to the interesting places. I have 5 activities that week (so far) that just can't be re-scheduled.
(sigh)

He can't even appreciate the opportunity.

Poor thing. He'll be staying at a posh hotel in Hawaii, eating great food, and flying around the gorgeous islands in a helicopter..... someone alert the UN and let them know that my dear husband is being tortured.

4 comments:

Pensguys said...

Yep, I just might have to be a bit bitter myself on that one!!!

Tammy said...

Well, let me say that I am grateful to you for the sacrifices I know you've made so your husband can serve our country... especially ones like this!

I think you should at least buy some yarn.

Oh, and I've been to Tombstone... very unimpressive. It's run by a rather unpleasant, seedy looking group of people who seem to believe they really are in the old west.

Dy said...

ROFL! I lived in Fayette-nam, too! We lived on a little street that was such a bad part of town that the pizza guys wouldn't deliver there, and the police stopped by just to give me their card and a heads-up.

I cannot tell you how many times I mentally calculated whether I had enough gas to get to I-40 and head West before anybody realized what I was doing.

And I never thought the memory of living there would make me smile and laugh a little. Funny stuff, that.

Hawaii. Poor thing. At least Zorak's just stuck in Southern MD this week. Nothing exciting there for him to get into and then call and tell me all about.

nisha said...

Someone PLEASE torture me like that....I could use some beach time, posh hotel time, and I wouldn't hate flying around looking at the islands, helicopter or not.
(I would've blown up at him too. LOL)