Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I need your decorating help!

Remember how I painted my new door red? Well, the paint bubbled up and started peeling off. I know....I was heartbroken.

I had to strip off all that old red paint, which took two days to do. Then prime the door and finally pick a new paint color. I chose an olive green called Mark Twain Grey Brick. I know, it says grey but it's really green.

So I got one coat on the door and thought....you know....that looks a little pickley. Hmmmm......

Now I love green, including this named grey but is really a pickle green color but I'm not sure if I like this on my front door.
So what do you think?

Warning: excuse the mess in any these pictures. I had to undecorate the doors to paint the silly things. And I haven't scraped the glass yet.
Here's my front door.

My house is taupe with green undertones. I have black shutters and storm door trim. That's my pickle green door. As soon as I finish painting, those old brass lights will be replaced with black ones.

Here's the door without the glare from the storm door. Right after I took this picture, I realised that I had locked my self out of the house. (The door knobs have been off for days so I used to no locks.) Just so you know, my door hardware is all black also.

So I had to scale my backyard fence....barefoot with my camera. Walk through the dog yard....barefooted where thankfully I had this door.

Which was thankfully open and also painted the pickle green that is not grey.

So what should I do?

A. Put that second and third coat on it. It's wonderful even though it is pickley.

B. Find a darker color that is a more mossy green.

C. Find a lighter color that does not looks like it came out of a Mt Olive bottle.

D. Paint it black. Everybody has a black door these days. You should too.

2 comments:

Tish said...

Option A!! I like pickle green. Really.

Dy said...

OK, well the people who named it "grey" are not in the right job.

That said, I kind of like it. I like the fresh, inviting feel it gives the doorway. I like how it highlights the foliage you have on your porch. I like the contrast w/ the black and the way it seems to complement the taupe.

I'd put the other coats on, and maybe paint a pot or something w/ it to put somewhere else.

Of course, my decorating scheme is "Paint more than one this with it, and then it looks intentional." So. Take my advice w/ a grain of salt. A little vinegar, some dill...