We had four baseball games today starting at the oh-my-gawd time of 8:30 am. That meant I had to get four boys in baseball uniforms, with gear and water bottles, out of the house by 8 am....on a Saturday.
We started with the littlest guy's t-ball game. Ha, ha, ha....it was insanity. Total chaos. Anarchy in team uniforms.
I can quite safely say that my kid was not the worst kid on those two teams. The hilarity was worth the early morning wake-up. T-ball games always end in a tie because they don't start getting out until mid-season.
Next was the 7 year-old's machine pitch game. He was worried that he wouldn't get a hit, but he got two. He got left on 2nd base the first inning, and then got out at 3rd in the 4th inning. Other than his team's unfortunate team jersey color, everything is perfect. Great coaches. Fun kids. Wonderful parents. They won due to some creative base running and an amazing catch made by the 3rd base player. Every adult watching on both sides was cheering for this kid when he caught that ball.
My oldest two played at the same time so ZD and I split up. We kept each other updated on the cell phones. My "serious one" , DS2, was catcher and got 3 hits. Including one that rolled out to the fence. It wasn't enough to save the game and they lost by 4 runs. But he coach was impressed that he caught the whole game in almost 90 degree weather and never once complained.
DS2 has no depth perception at all due to some vision issues that have not been corrected even with numerous surgeries. ZD and I have stopped trying to figure out how he can hit a baseball so well. He just can.
Oldest boy was the clean up batter for his team. On his first pitch, he was hit right on the knee. The pitcher was a friend of his and he felt terrible. It was bad enough that he had to have a pitch runner who ended up scoring the first run of the game. After sitting out an inning, he was back out in center field. He kept ice on it while in the dug out and felt good enough to risk batting again. He managed to get a hit and score a run. It wasn't graceful though, that's for sure.
His team won by 5 runs.
But the umpire warned him that he would need to ice and elevate his knee after the game. I thought it was an over reaction until I got a good look at his leg.
Holy Cow!
The impact was enough to break the skin and he has an egg size lump on his knee. I'm sure glad I didn't know that during the game.
He's walking on it fine right now, so I guess it's nothing to be worried about. He says it doesn't hurt unless I poke it. (Mom's are required to poke things to see just how bad they are. It's in that long list of "things moms can do" that is printed on the back of their birth certificates.)
After all that baseball, we still had to get haircuts and go to scouts. Now I'm just downright exhausted. But at least I'm not sunburned like ZD is.
If he would have shared his peanuts....I would have shared my sunscreen.
2 comments:
What a day! Glad you are back posting! "Put ice on it" is a common saying around here--my son has about an ice bag a day since his basketball obsession started! Funny, skateboarding never necessitated more than one or two.....
WOW. How can you post about baseball and make it so fun to read? I sit down to write, and honestly, all I can remember is that I spent upteen hours trying to keep Jason from eating sunflower seeds and cigarette butts. (Maybe when he's older, I'll be able to remember what happened during the games? Please tell me it's so!)
WAY TO GO BOYS!!! They are such troopers!
And yes, t-ball makes me smile. Smidge is in machine pitch this year. It's kind of sad, and kind of neat. But where'd my baby go? *sniff*
Post a Comment