So we've made it through the first quarter of the school year and I thought I'd post a little about what's bugging me so far.
First of all, I'm not happy with my schedule. Things are just too busy for me. Mondays are science classes and tutoring. (And soon, Boy Scouts) Tuesdays are speech at school and then tutoring another child after school. Wednesday is two hours of OT and another hour of tutoring. Thursdays are speech at school and the PE for the boys. Fridays, thank heaven, are free. Saturdays are scouts, sports, and whatever else comes up.
I wish I could drop all the tutoring but two of the afternoon are family/close friend obligations. Science classes, PE, scouts, and sports all benefit the boys so I feel a need to continue those. Speech and OT are non-negotiable.
Then add in seasonal sports practices, parties, social events, play practice, camp outs, family obligations, and my hospital board position.
But I guess we'd be running around as much or more if the boys were in school and I worked. So i should not complain.
Still.....I'm homebody at heart.
As far as school goes, everything is unchanged with the exception of my oldest math program. I had planned to use Lial's math program and Jacob's Algebra.
But I hate the Lial's Basic College Math book. Really hate it. Words can not express the loathing I feel towards this book.
So he's using Dolicani pre-algebra now and both of us enjoy it. I went ahead and bought the Algebra 1 and 2 texts and TE's. Surprisingly enough, I used that same Algebra 1 text when I was in 8th grade.
Hmm...... I had a great text book. Looking at it now, I see the level of math required and that it is a very intensive program. I had the Teacher of the Year for SC as my instructor. I worked with her as an adult, so I know she is serious about math education and is an excellent instructor.
However, even with a great teacher and a great textbook....I really struggled through algebra 1 and subsequently every other math with the exception of geometry.
I want better for my sons. I want them to understand math. I want them to feel confident in their abilities.
I want them to be better than me.
Which is going to be hard when I'm teaching out of the same books that I barely squeaked through as a student. (In my household a "C" was unacceptable. In high school, I got 5 "C's" and "B" one quarter and I seriously considered running away. I cried all day, scared to death to go home. So when I say "squeaked" I mean I got a "B" or "C" for the year.)
Thankfully, I have four incredibly math minded boys, the TE's, a lot more math experience, and ZD to encourage me. (And the fact that ZD uses all that complicated math on a daily basis.)
"I always thought my math teachers were smart," he told me when the package of books arrived. "It turns out they just had all the answers."
3 comments:
I nearly threw in the towel on Math education this week.
C was in tears, I was in tears, and it really seemed a bit hopeless.
I declared the College text dead this week.
We pulled up Algebra 1 on the internet, compliments of MIT and NROC. He actually passed the lessons and I witnessed the glorious lightbulb moment.
He still wants the text book....I am terrified of hitting the brick wall again.
Math. Ugh.
I'm not a math fan either, but math-u-see has worked well for us through the years. In addition to the regular student text and TE, there is an "Honors" book starting in 7th grade, I believe. www.mathusee.com
can you combine any of the tutoring and get it all over on 1 day?
I did my own OT and speech here at my house (after some professional so I knew what to do)- it at least saved on prep time to leave the house and driving time (ours was 30 minutes driving each direction for OT)
www.aleks.com seems to wrk really well for math for my older 2. (they have free trials). we did a lot of 'unschool/hands on' math for many, many yrs. it seemed to work great.
I love his comment about the mat hteachers and how he thoguht they were smart, but they just had all the answers (from their teacher books I assume)
Post a Comment