Sunday, November 16, 2008

cold feet, cold hands, warm hearts

ZD and I are cold weather wimps.
Really.
We both hail from deep in the South where the coldest nights are in the high 20's. And believe me...we are miserable for both nights.

I am the worse of the two of us. I can't seem to keep my extremities warm, my feet especially. ZD teases that I could get a job at Gitmo. Forget water boarding. All I'd have to do is put my ice cold dogs on them and those folks would confess to anything.
Woolen knitted socks are my dearest friends.

This evening the current temperature is 43 and ZD and I are fretting because he just let the fire burn out so we could go to bed. I know the people who live near here are thinking, "You had a fire going today? It was barely chilly."
Why yes we did. My oldest boy made the fire about 7 am and we kept it going all day long. It was so nice and warm in the house, that I actually went barefoot.

Thankfully, we have access to lots of free firewood. MIL had a clear cut on a few dozen acres. There are lots of little leftover trees that will make great firewood. ZD and the boys will spend Thanksgiving weekend cutting and splitting several cords of firewood.
I'm sure glad of that. My feet will be quite thankful.

Now I just need a fireplace insert like our first house and I will be the happiest warm footed gal in the state.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

in ohio we had HEATED FLOORS! it was GREAT!
but here in Cali we don;t need them. I always had ice cold toes, but they rarely bothered me. I think they were just too numb to feel.