Saturday, November 22, 2008

Worried sick....literally

ZD and Matthew are camping this weekend at a Webelos-ree. If this was normal November weather, they would be sitting pretty.

But it's not.

We are having record cold this week. For those of you in colder areas, lows in the 20's is no big deal. But our normal lows for November are in the 50's. February might get in the 20's but we don't go outside in February other than the amount of time it takes to go from building to car and back again.

We certainly don't go camping.

But that's where they are....camping beside a lake in a park north (colder) of where we live. I'm sure the temps were around 20 degrees last night. And the winds are 10 to 15 mph.

They have a propane heater, but you can't run that while you are sleeping. They have sleeping bags and tons of blankets including old wool Army blankets. They also have jackets, coats, hats, and gloves.
What they don't have is cell phone coverage, so I haven't heard from them today. I know they got there safely and were doing fine at 7:30 pm.

I have been immobilized with worry today. My only comfort is that if they had died of hypothermia or carbon monoxide poisoning....someone would have certainly called me by now.

So ZD must be taking good care of our little "Eeyore" son and they are just too busy earning those 7 Webelos activity badges to get somewhere with cell phone coverage.

Right?

3 comments:

Seanna said...

Hey girlie! Are they in a tent? I'm sure they are just fine. Probably not really even all that cold until they woke up this morning and had to leave their cocoon. Then there was probably some teeth chattering!

It must have been quite a shock for them to have the temps go down that far in November, though! We had pretty much the same situation here, maybe a little bit colder. Yah, I stayed inside last night!

You'll have to update us when they get back, but I'm sure they are having a blast. Well, maybe your son more than ZooD. His bones are older than Matthew's....

Sheila said...

Yes...they have a tent. A huge tent with a screened in porch and two other rooms. (I found it insane when they bought is couple of years ago.) They also have several of those reflective backed tarps. And they have air matresses.

So I guess they are ok. If they were having a miserable time, they would pack up and go home. if thery weren't already dead from hypothermia or carbon monoxide.

Unknown said...

no news is good news I guess. I'm sure they'll have a great time and have lots of stories to tell you