For the past week, there have been contractors here replacing our cracked up driveway. They know we are homeschoolers. It's kind of hard to miss since all four boys file out of the house onto the porch any time a piece of new machinery starts up. One day we had a Bobcat, a front loader, a dump truck, and a cement mixer.
Cement mixers are definite boy magnets.
So the boys have watched all this work going on. They've also helped by turning on and off hoses and moving various small items. And they've asked lots of questions.
In the process of getting a new driveway, we've discussed how concrete was used since Roman times; how it cures instead of dries, exothermic reactions versus endothermic reactions, hydraulics, how the screw inside the mixer worked like the screw in our ice maker, and a myriad of other topics.
Each afternoon, and by the time the novelty of the concrete work had worn off and all school work was finished, it would be time for the school kids to appear and they'd all play Yug-gi-oh, bocce ball, lawn darts, or football, or they'd ride bikes, scooters, and skateboards.
Most days there are about 10 kids playing in the area in front of my house or on my front porch.
Which makes yesterday's conversation with the contractors so funny.
The owner says to me, "You really can tell that your boys are smart. I mean, just listening to their conversation and the things that they ask. They must get a lot from homeschooling."
You homeschool parents know what's coming next don't you. What always comes next in these conversations. I expect the question, but it still surprises me every time.
He went on, "I don't how they are doing social wise. I mean, do they get time to be with other kids?"
For a moment I wondered what he thought all those kids were doing in my yard. Or if he the 15 additional children came to my house for science lessons on Monday while he was tearing up the driveway.
I assured him that the boys have plenty of interaction with the public. That they play football, soccer, basketball, and two seasons of baseball. That my oldest is in a drama production and they all attend PE classes, field trips, and bi monthly activities. Plus play dates, parties, and family visits.
In fact, I have to limit the social opportunities.
Then I had to laugh. Sure they're smart but are they socialized?
Why do we always get that question...especially when said children are in the middle of a spirited bocce ball game with half a dozen other kids.
How much more socialized do they need to be?
2 comments:
I think it's just one of those things people say. You know, like when people see twins, they feel compelled to ask if they are identical or not.... even if the twins consist of a boy and a girl. ;)
It's a compulsion! And they ask without really thinking about what they mean. A conversational item, like small talk about the weather.
I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't usually mentioned *right after* someone comments on how well-behaved, articulate, or pleasant the kids are. But... what about socialization? *sigh*
I do realize it is, for those unfamiliar with homeschooling, a common reaction. But to say this in the same breath with which you've just complimented my beautifully socialized children... I'm gonna chuckle. Every time.
Dy
Post a Comment