Friday, August 22, 2008

Question of the day

Why do people who are enrolling their kids in school ask homeschoolers if they are making the right decision?

Each year, I wonder about this. It happens in homschoooling communities across the world and the Internet.
Why do this on a homeschool community? That's like going to a breastfeeding community and asking if you should stop breastfeeding and switch to formula. Or going to a cloth diapering community and asking about Huggies.
Or....going to a teachers' online community and asking if you should homeschool.

I understand self-doubt. I'm full of it myself some days. But when I visit a homeschool support group, I expect people to encourage me to homeschool.
I don't expect them to tell me that sending them to public or private school is OK.

And yes, I'm not fond of public school. If I thought it was the best option for my kids...I would send them. But I don't so I don't.
I don't belittle any parents' educational decision. Each parent is charged with making the best decisions for their own children. Wow, what a responsibility!
It was hard enough to decide what I wanted to do with my own children. I sure don't want the task of choosing for others.

But if you ask me for my opinion... I would say that homeschooling is better. For us.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree!! I am sick of the question, and when answered honestly getting the huff and odd stare. Ugh.
As for your beautiful poll above, why ask us to vote....you have your mind made up already going by the choices you've offered up. LOL.

Sheila said...

Shellbie,
Ssssshhhhhh.....I just wanted to use the poll feature and warn people that the knitting might get joined in with this blog. ;)

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Personally, I'm just glad you found your camera!

Hopewell said...

I know the feeling. When we homeschooled everyone questioned my sanity. Now I choke on tears and the desire for violence when people say stupid things like "isn't it easier to have them disappear onto the bus each day." Ugh!

Dy said...

I've given up on being diplomatic, and open my response with, "Well, I suppose that depends on what you want your children to get out of their education." This is followed with one raised eyebrow, and a smile that says, "You probably didn't want me to answer, so now is the time to move on to another subject, or I will answer." It seems to work beautifully.

*shrug* I don't get it, either.

Dy