I am a planning junkie.
Yes, it is true. I love to plan. I don't love the follow through so much. But I love to organize, and schedule, and lay out the most grandiose plans.
I've been this way all my life.
Even as a little girl, I organized my Crayolas in the box. Sometimes alphabetically. Sometimes by spectrum.
I organize the laundry. ZD gets tickled when he sees a pile of underwear and shirts sorted by color: white, brown, and tan.
The calendar on the fridge is set up by person. My email inbox is color coded and automatically sorts into different folders. The pantry is organized by type of food and who eats it. The main cooking stuff is at my eye level. The snack foods are at kid height. ZD's odd stuff is above my head since I won't touch it anyway.
So right now I am in my "most wonderful time." It's time to plan for school. And boy am I planning. I have spread sheets and book lists. I have notebooks and dividers and more office supplies than I can possibly use. I am one busy chick, overwhelmed and craving more at the same time.
But part of me is starting to doubt my "planning" ways. I'm starting to think I should put the energy into the "doing" instead of the planning. I know, I know, it's blasphemy. But I'm just entertaining the idea.
Maybe this year.....I'll just figure out the very bare bones what what needs to happen and by when. Then I'll just wing it. (I heard that snort from someone who knows me IRL. I can wing it. I can.)
So what do you do to get ready for the school year....even if you don't home school. How do you prepare? Do you plan out each week? Do you have a monthly goal? Do you just do whatever comes next? Do you decide over morning coffee?
And does planning cause you stress or does it alleviate it? (Or does it do both?)
3 comments:
I snorted, but moreso at the thought of me giving up my planning time. That's my crack, right there, man. I'll let my attire, kitchen, and routine go to pot just because I'm planning! I'm in the ZONE!
And mostly, I do it for me. Kind of like making lists, then re-making the lists so that I can organize them (by store, by category, by recipe... there are so many wonderful ways to redo a list...) and then, promptly losing them. Or leaving them in the car.
Used to stress me out. I, in turn, would stress out everyone around me. But now, I just acknowledge that it's for me. And when we're winging it, doing nothing remotely similar to what I'd planned, I can sit back and fondle the sticky pads and wait... for the next catalog... the next semester break... when I can plan once again.
(Re-reading this, I realize I sound kind of scary... I don't mean to be. It's a benign illness, at any rate.)
Dy
I love to plan. And, unfortunately, like you have more trouble executing said plan than I'd like. So, this year I am not planning (much). Seriously, we are mostly just doing the next thing. Mainly I just need to keep ahead of Thomas a bit so I can make sure I have all the plater of paris, pipecleaners, 3 corks, a magnet and 72 balloons type stuff handled. It's kind of freeing. So far.
I don't know...I didn't plan, I just worked at it, and we got where we got. That was last year. I really wanted to lay out some better goals, still keep it loose, but a bit more structure this year. And looks like I'm already behind, and school won't start "officialy" for anther month. Yeah, I'm looking up to all my homeschooling buds to see what "I" should do.
All my best laid plans were derailed the day I learned my son was on the way...and he's been derailing all my plans ever since. LOL.
Post a Comment