My last little one is very much like his oldest brother. He can retreat into his own fantasy and entertain himself for hours. Unlike his brother, (but very much like his mother) he needs this time to himself to play and relax without a pile of people.
Usually, Sam's quiet place to play is with me in the living room, while I'm knitting or online. It's hard to explain, but I'm flattered that he doesn't see my presence and a intrusion.
Over the past few days, he's been starved for that quiet time. We've had sickness abound. And then I moved all the furniture to the middle of the room so I could finally finish off the painting in the living room.
As I pushed the furniture into place and started vacuuming, Sam appeared. He waited patiently for me to finish then praised my efforts.
As I fell into the couch to rest and surf "teh internets," Sam collapsed to the floor with a toy scorpion and his "finger man."
For the past half hour, he's rolled around, playing out some imaginary scene...almost oblivious to my presence.
I'm nursing a monster sized bruise that I got when I fell off a chair today. Yes, I am clumsy enough to fall off a chair...but I happened to be standing on this particular chair. You see I was just way too lazy to go get a stepladder. So I used a kitchen chair to finish painting trim and do all the touch up work. At one point, I shifted just a bit too much and off I went. To add insult to injury, the chair whacked the inside of my knee on the way down. Unfortunately, the other half of me was still on the chair at the time.
So I have a nice egg-sized bruise. And it hurts like the dickens.
Now I just have to hang the pictures and the room will finally be finished.
Zoodad is one step closer to home. He's at his out processing station. This will probably be out least productive homeschool week ever. It's going to be awful hard to concentrate with cabin fever and the prospect of playing with Daddy.
I'll be surprised if anyone sleeps this week...including myself.
2 comments:
Wait, you're not supposed to injure yourself right before the big homecoming! :-S Yeouch. I've taken some pretty humbling dives, myself. And still, I'm too lazy to set up a scaffold. Then the other day, I saw James w/ one foot on a dining room chair and the other foot spread waaay out onto the bookshelf, balancing himself on the stereo, to replace a movie... and I realized, "Yup, that one's mine." Hope your bruises heal soon, and your littles get some rejuvenation time, and this week goes by SO quickly you don't know what hit you!
Dy
I'm so happy your husband is home safe!
Post a Comment