Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Someone tell me what's up with this problem.

I know what I think is wrong with it.
But I want to know what you think.
This is from chapter 2 of an 8th grade Holt Mathematics book.

During the qualifying for first NASCAR event and Texas Motor Speedway in 2005, the fastest speed was 192.582 mi/h. The next four fastest speeds, relative to the fastest speed, were approximately
-17/25 mi/h,
-0.15 mi/h,
-1.15 mi/h,
and -1 1/40mi/h.
List these relative speeds in order from least to greatest.

Hmmmmm......

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Hmmm... I don't see anything wrong other than it requiring some fraction conversion and subtraction. What am I missing? Now you've got me wondering... what do you think is wrong with it?

Pensguys said...

Are you referring to the fact that the times aren't listed as times, but seconds behind the fastest speed?

Or are you talking about what Tammy said....that the kid will need to do some fraction conversion?

Jennie C. said...

The only thing I can think of is some ambiguity. Listing from least to greatest in difference from the fastest time, or least to greatest in actual speed? If the first, then the largest number would actually be the least, but if the second, then the smallest number would be first.

As a homeschool mama, I'd ask for explanation of either answer, and mark it right.