Well here we go again with the today's list of activities.
Today began our second week of swimming lessons. Sam greeted the class by asking "Why do we have swimming lessons, and swimming lessons, and more swimming lessons. I already had swimming lessons." To which the swim instructor answered, "Because you can't swim yet." This instructor happens to like Sam a good bit.
Andrew happily started his second week though his instructor is at a loss on how to teach him to swim. She can't figure out how to get him to pull his body up to the surface.
I admitted that I didn't either.
Andrew has gravitational insecurity and difficulty determining his position in space. When you put him in the near weightlessness of water, he doesn't know where he is or which way is up.
I told her that just having him get in the water without panicking was a great achievement to me right now. Once school starts back, we'll consider signing up for the weekly adaptive swim classes for special needs.
It's hard to explain how much this hurts me. I was hoping that swimming class could be a nearly "normal" thing for him
He's in a younger class for ages 3-5 though he just turned 6. I knew he couldn't handle being in a class for 6 to 12 year olds.
I've also conceded that he won't be able to play on the 1st grade soccer and basketball teams with the Upward league. He'll have to play on the 4-5 year old teams. He's just not ready. He won't be able to keep up and he'll notice.
That's the big part... him noticing.
I'm also faced with the reality that this year will most likely be the last year that Matthew will be able to play Upward soccer and basketball. He can play on the 2nd-3rd grade teams because of his birth date. But next year, he won't be on the level of the the 4th-5th graders. And he already sees how he is different from other kids. I won't put him in a situation that singles him out and makes him feel inferior. He doesn't need that.
Thank goodness we still have baseball. All four of them love baseball. And they can hold their own in baseball. It's the best sport ever.
Back to our day....
After swim lessons, we stayed at the pool, baked a while, and got all pruney. We had a "little lunch" to tide us over and then baked and soaked some more. Our pool has several smaller wading pools and a splash park to keep everybody entertained whether they can swim or not.
On the way home, we picked up Sonic for a late, big lunch. (Which is why we haven't had dinner yet.) Then the boys all set outside to find some neighbors to play with.
ZooDad called and my crappy dying phone hung up him after 5 minutes. So he emailed me. "BUY A NEW PHONE!" Not so cute when Sam isn't involved.
I finished a pair of socks and finally, FINALLY masters my kitchener's stitch. I have toes with no seams. I am so proud of myself. And then, in a moment of brilliance, cast on with the leftover sock yarn to make an MP3 cozy. I can knit up a stash of these for Christmas. Sock and cozy combo. It's brilliant!
Tonight, Steak for me. Burgers for the boys. I drug out my VHS of Labyrinth (With David Bowie) for the boys to watch and I'm going to watch the Braves game.
(Next gameless night, I'm renting Pan's Labyrinth.)
I need to clean.
I need to get ready for next school year.
I need to get ready for more swim lessons.
In all honesty, I'll probably have a beer and knit instead.
One day less. Almost time to make a paper chain.
2 comments:
You're such a great Mama!!! I've had to do some explaining lately about all the dr. visits we've had. So far he seems to be understanding pretty well.
I'm w/ pensguys - you are such a great mama! And I now love baseball a lot more than I did last night, at ten o'clock. :-)
Busy-busy! Had to LOL at the mp3 cozy - what a great idea!
Dy
Post a Comment