in the way that God wants....he will make it successful.
That's what I've been telling myself for the past 3 years that I've coordinated testing for our homeschool support group. Every year, I would nervously crunch numbers and try to have faith that it would all work out. That there would be enough money. That there would be enough room. That there would be enough administrators. That the tests would arrive on time.
I try to have an atmosphere of fellowship and fun...with a silly achievement test thrown in just to make sure we don't go all crazy. Basically, it's snack and play time with periodic breaks to math problems and read some stories.
Low stress...high fun.
Year one...36 kids were tested and the the group seemed huge. WOW!
Year two, I tore up my ankle and just getting through the three days was amazing. The parents all pulled together and took care of everything. They dismantled the testing cubbies, returned all the tables to the right place, cleaned up and packed up while I sat helpless and guilt filled. It was a very humbling experience for this type A personality mom.
Year three was another year with over 50 kids. We actually broke even. And I didn't get hurt or burn down the church with the coffee pot that I forgot to unplug.
I've spent the week working on this year's paperwork. We are the only support group to provide special needs testing and the only group to provide testing for all grades K though 12 even if it costs us money. It's a pain sometimes...but it's a great service for homeschool families in our area. (Our state requires testing every three years.)
As I continued though the test applications....I ran out of room on my spread sheet. That's never happened before. I had to scoot my tallying blocks down 15 more rows.
Hmmmm......
We currently have 63 children testing this year. 63! Oh my gosh! Children of all ages, all homeschooled and all together in one spot for three days. And that's not even counting the little ones in the nursery.
One of my favorite things about testing is seeing the kids of all ages playing together on the playground in between tests. Last year, four corners was a hit. And even the big kids were up to a swing jumping competition.
Oh my....63. Kind of scary and exciting at the same time. Woo...I may be able to offer a refund this year. Cool!
No comments:
Post a Comment