Thursday, February 15, 2007

A great Southern Gentleman and Statesman

My husband flew home to our tiny airport one day, several years ago. When I picked him up he told me about this really nice man who was on the flight with them.

A woman was on the plane, traveling with two small children. The children were scared of the plane and both started crying on takeoff. The more she tried to calm them the louder they howled.
The mother was overwhelmed and embarrassed over the noise her children were making and could not get them to quiet down.
Then this older man say down across from her and took one of the children and rocked him while the mother tried to calm down the other child. Eventually, both children stopped crying...and the man played with both of them throughout the whole flight. This was the coach section...not first class. My husband was so impressed with the aura that this unknown man gave off. He seemed to emanate kindness and joy.

Now my husband is not the type of person to comment on this sort of thing so I took his story to heart. Then he pointed out the man to me...he man who was waiting patiently to pick up his luggage and talking to the other people from his flight.

The look on my husband's face when I told him that was Charlie Norwood, our federal representative...it was priceless.

So while a certain senator is pushing for her own military plane matching the size of the POTUS...so she can fly her family across the country in style, Rep. Charlie Norwood was the kind of man who happily took a puddle jumper flight home in coach.
I'm not saying that there is only one greedy politician in DC, because I know that greed is rampant on both sides of the aisle but I will say that we have lost one of the few truly great politicians.

3 comments:

Pensguys said...

What a great story! And I agree with you...I'm so sorry he is gone.

MrsBurns said...

Thanks for sharing that story....Rep. Norwood was one of the good guys and I will miss him. I read thru your autism post below and I am steaming with you about the "professionals" and their leave early attitude. You have so much on your plate and I'm thankful you take it so seriously. Those boys are blessed.

Dy said...

Oh, that made me cry. Would that there were more men and women like that who wanted to serve our country.

Dy