Sunday, December 24, 2006

The proverbial straw

Over the past few weeks I have had a lot of trouble with my cell phone. Now I know that in the grand scheme of things, having a cell phone is a luxury.
But for me, it is my lifeline.
Because we are gone from home so much, we need that phone for safety and even more important...for calls from ZooDad.
I can handle having him gone if I can hear from him every few days.

Well, I replaced the phone a week ago and since then the replacement phone has killed three batteries. Last night I found that it was dead once again and wouldn't charge.

It was my final straw.

I cried.
How was I supposed to drive out to the boonies, at night, on Christmas with four children in the van and no phone for emergencies.
What if I got a flat?
There are sections of miles with no houses or farms. It could be hours before someone drove by.
Plus, how would ZooDad call me? His long distance connections are sporadic at best. And the lines to his Mom's house are hard to get connected to.

The last thing I wanted to do on Christmas Eve was go BACK to the Alltel store. I had plans for cookies and treats and playing with the boys. Not waiting for hours with holiday shoppers.
I cried for hours. I've been so busy just handling the big stuff that the tiny stuff just kicks me out. How silly to be so upset about a cell phone but there I was.
Finally at 4 am, I gave up the worrying and went to sleep.

ZooDad insisted that I not travel without a phone. "Wait until Tuesday. My family will understand. If they don't, they should be ashamed of themselves."

But I decided to try.

When I arrived at the Alltel store, the place was empty of customers but a whole flock arrive behind me.
Thankfully, I was already being taken care of.
Within half an hour, I was out the door with a new phone and battery.
No charge.
Pray that it works for at least four days.

3 comments:

Pensguys said...

Oh,hun!!! I'm so sorry!

Yes, I will pray the phone lasts.

Job said...

ZooMom- I'm praying for safe travel back and forth and that the phone works... all the stress and upsetment came out... you're entitled. cry all you want. even if you think it's just over a phone... it isn't.

Anonymous said...

Sheila,
Crying over the phone doesn't mean anymore than it was the last little thing that went on top of a whole huge pile of big things. Real stuff that you deal with every day, with an attitude that amazes me. Of course you are having a minor meltdown. Your husband is in a place that is hot and sandy, away from you all at Christmas, and not only that, it's not exactly a safe place.
Letting off a little steam now means you might be able to enjoy part of the holidays, instead of having someone set you off there. Better it's a phone that you lost it over than having all that stress and frustration aimed at someone. This is a healthy thing. It's going to be okay. You amaze me at the way you handle this stuff. You laugh easy. Yes this sucks. It does. But you don't live under a perpetual cloud of depression, and no one would blame you if you did.
I hope your holiday goes as well as possible, that the people around you aren't too annoying or snarky. That you are actually able to enjoy some of it, even tho your honey isn't here.
I've been thinking about you. Thought about calling you, but I was afraid I'd wake someone up...