Saturday, November 18, 2006

Watch what you wish for

My sister is notoriously hard to shop for.
She tends to just buy stuff she wants instead of waiting for gifts.
It's infuriating, especially at Christmas time.

Yesterday, while hanging out at hers and Mom's house, I told my Mom..."I think I'll knit her something. She can't buy that. Maybe I'll make her a nice pair of socks, or a wrap, or something. I wish I knew what she wanted"

Mom agreed that would be a great idea. We could foil her holiday time shopping habit.
She's a crafter and would appreciate a hand knit gift. She would know just how much time was put into it and wouldn't just view a beautiful pair of superwash merino lace socks as "just a pair of striped socks."

But what exactly to knit her. She's pretty picky about clothing items.

Half an hour later, sister comes home from work. As she walked in the door and saw me knitting ZooDad's giant log cabin blanket, she blurted out, "I want a knit sweater."

Mom and I just stared at each other.
My sister never asks for specific items, ever. She's always very vague when asked about gifts. She sure never ever asks anyone to make something for her.
"OK, so what kind of sweater do you want and what kind of yarn." I took the bait.

We spent the next hour looking through her closet and the knitting mags I happened to have in the van.
She doesn't think she's going to actually get a sweater, but she really does want one.

I've already ordered the yarn and picked a pattern.

Now Mom wants me to come up with a gift idea from her.

No comments: