Monday, November 20, 2006

A General Malaise

I'm channeling my inner 19th century heroine. All I need is a corset and some Victorian furniture to set up the mood.

There's nothing wrong with me. There not even anything really wrong that I can put my finger on. (I mean besides all the stuff I normally have going on.)
I just feel a certain grumpiness.

Tomorrow starts a new school week. I'm hoping that this week starts better than last week. Last week, we started out with a "Come to Jesus" conversation with great-nephew and his mom. It culminating with me laying down the law and stating out-right that he either shaped up by Christmas or I was cutting him loose.
I hate to do it but I can not expend more energy on this one child than I expend on all my kids combined. It is not fair and I will not do it.
What I expect: that the boy will work for the next few days then slack off after Thanksgiving. He is lazy. Smart, but lazy. And since my job this year is to get him caught up and able to enter 7th grade. He can do the work, he just chooses not to. The homeschool mom in says, "Yeah, you got a 96 on your English test. That is awesome." However, if I'm in Mrs. 6th grade teacher mode, I have to add, "It's too bad that you didn't finish the previous 4 days of classwork which combined with your other unfinished work gives you a "C" average."
And it's not like I am asking him to do anymore than my children do. In fact, he does far less than J will do as a 6th grader.

We'll see.

What I need is a break. I'll get a few days this week but they are just a break from schooling this extra child. It's not a real break.
I miss my husband so much. We are such a matched set that each of us just flounders when we spend too much time apart.
We re-energize each other.
We entertain each other.
We build up each other.
We comfort each other.
We carry each other's weight.

It's funny but I tend to let things blow over me. I don't seek out the best for myself and don't fight if someone slights me.
But 'dis' my husband and I will never forgive you. Ever.
And in turn, he is my champion. He comes out with sword at the ready to defend me even when I don't really need it.
Together, we are a force to be reckoned with.

Apart....well...we're each just half a person.

2 comments:

Dy said...

{{hugs}}
Dy

Anonymous said...

If you need to get together, and can find someone to watch your guys, I'll get Marty to watch ours, and you and I can go wander the bookstore or yarn shop and you can just vent, or talk or not think about anything at all. My phone number has to be on your caller ID. LOL Use it if you want to. I'm always up til at LEAST midnight unless I'm sick.

Nisha