Today, I gave up. I plan to encourage my niece to go ahead and re-enroll her son after Thanksgiving break and not wait until after Christmas.
If anyone ever asks you to homeschool their kid for a year, run away. Even if it's family.
You can not make someone love learning. You can not make a child who is not yours do work that they do not want to do.
Homeschooling is a lifestyle. It's not something that occurs from 8 to 3. It's a 7-day-a-week, every-waking-hour way of raising your children. You just can't turn it off and on.
I knew that before but I really believe it now.
The boys are happy. (The oldest especially. He hates any sort of drama and complaining.) They will miss their cousin around all the time but they are looking froward to a return to the "normal" day and a happier mom.
This a reaffirmed my decision to homeschool my children. I'm not bashing public school when I say this but....I want more than public school can offer my children. No teacher could ever be as invested in my children than I am.
No teacher could be as dedicated as I am to meeting their educational and emotional needs.
I still feel as if I failed the boy. It sure reminds me how difficult Teachers have it.
I don't envy them one bit.
3 comments:
Sheila - you didn't fail him. *He* failed himself. hugs and kudos for you for all you've done for him....
It seems to me his own parents failed him, not you. I'm glad you're happier, too.
I'm sad for you--all that work. The flip side at our place is my son is failing 6th grade deliberately. The more he fails the more he wants to do at home. Who knows, too, what "seeds" you have planted in nephew's heart.
Lisa at hopewellmomschool@yahoo.com [on a short blogging break]
Post a Comment