Saturday, October 07, 2006

I'm winning the kid over.

This year I am "tutoring" my great nephew. He's been in PS for 6 years and didn't have a very successful year last year. His parents asked me to homeschool him this year to try to make up the gap in his education.

It's taken a few months, but he's getting it. Rod and Staff English seems totally logical to him. Of course "there" and "not" are adverbs. History is something that is fascinating and exciting. (Thanks to Story of the World.) Tests should be A's only. Spelling lists should be mastered. Math is something you attempt on your own then ask for help if you can't figure it out.
In fact all learning should be self directed.

He's getting it. He enjoys the freedom of learning outside a classroom. He enjoys being able to practice his Ollie Flips in between math and science. He's even starting to enjoy reading. That's going to be my happiest moment, when he just reads for fun without prompting.

But I knew for sure that he was fitting right in when he got excited about watching a 2 hour documentary on the Three Gorges Dam on the Yangtzte river.
And he asked his Dad in Iraq if he was near the Tigris or the Euphrates.

His grandmother, my SIL is concerned that he will be behind when he returns to public school. I don't worry level of work at all but I do wonder if he'll want to return at all.

3 comments:

Pensguys said...

THAT will be the hardest part for him....poor thing.

Anonymous said...

He has to return?? Give doubting relatives my blog--see what happens when kids are forced back to PS. My son STUNNED me by asking if we could do grammar--he was bored it remembered it as fun! We did!

Lisa at
http://www.bloglines.com/blog/HopewellMomSchool
hopewellmomschool@yahoo.com

Dy said...

That is SO awesome! I'm just tickled that this is working well for him, for you all. Can't wait to hear about his first impromptu reading!!

Dy