Monday, August 21, 2006

Z..............

Jacqui the Dolphin Lover has challenged me to come up with 10 "Z" words and explain why I picked those words.
In Shakespeare's King Lear "Z" is used as an insult.
"Thou whoreson zed! Thou unnecessary letter!" (II.ii), intonating that Z is a useless letter, an afterthought.

Here at the Zoo we find "Z" to be a much more valuable symbol. Beautiful even. It can easily be flourished in any typeset or can be left in nice straight lines.
I tend to use a European "Z" with a line at midstaff to distinguish it from a sideways "N". (at least on practice balls.)

Having a last name starting with "Z" is handy too. On any alphabetical list, I can easily find us. You don't have to write your whole name on belongings. When the coach picks up an errant ball with a "Z" on it, he know exactly which child it belongs to. Monogramed stuff is easy to find. The "Z's" never get snapped up.

Obviously word number one is...

Zoo.
We really have our own Zoo here. Sure, it's chaos with 4 boys (plus one visiting boy) running around all day long but we do have some things in common with real zoos. We have the same goals: education, conservation, respectful care, and recreation. We strive to learn about our place in the world and to respect all the living things around us. We do our best to be good stewards of the gifts that are given to us. We do our best to provide an environment that is stimulating, caring, comforting, and educational. And...like modern zoos, we do all this without iron bars. (Though they might come in handy some days.)

2. Zany
We're kind of silly and foolish here. ZooDad and I have a sick and twisted sense of humor and we love every moment of it.

3. Zoom
On the go. All. The. Time. For "home" schoolers, we don't stay at home much. We do a lot of van-schooling, porch-schooling, forest-schooling, and waiting room-schooling. It also describes the motion of at least 2 of the Zoo Children. They lack any kind of speed control and only have two settings: on and off.

4. Zaftig
That's me all over. Look it up. It's a good word.

5. Zig-zag
It's appropriate that the word that describes the lovely "Z" shape, had so many "z's" in it. Non-linear motion. Not following a straight path. A path with sharp bends and turns.In other words, Life. The trick in enjoying life is how smoothly you navigate these sharp turns. Do you just barrel along right over them, not deviating from your straight path? Do you worry and watch, anticipating the turn and consumed with staying on course? Or do you just ride and along and wait to see what pops up around the bend?

6. Zest
An enjoyment or excitement. Do I even have to explain this one? I often tell people that if they even need time to relax and just to have fun, to just come on over. You can't stay sad here. You can't be bored here. And it never...ever...quiet.

7. Zealous
I'm one of those people who goes overboard in just about everything. From making a birthday cake to knitting a pair of socks, I can't just do something "a little." Not only to I have to do it "all out," but I am driven to get it done. For me the destination is just as important as the journey.

8.Zing
A lively and energetic quality. It's funny that most "Z" words are related to movement and energy. Maybe by taking on a "Z" as your label, you bring in some of the energy that is implied by the letter. That might explain the boys, who are playing "launch your brother like a rocket" in the living room as I type this.

9. Zebu
Because I am a biologist by training, we sing it the correct way.
"Zebu! This is a song about a boy...a song about a little boy and his Zebus...a song about a little boy and his 3 Zebus... the little boy who had a sick Zebu, a sad Zebu, and a mute Zebu. and also a hippo."

10. Zenith
The pinnacle. The highest point.That's what we strive for. Not the highest point that anyone can attain, but the highest point that we can attain individually. My own personal zenith. If you don't try to do your very best, your personal best, not a "best" based on anyone else's abilities....then what are you doing in life?

So, reader, do you have a letter that is important to you? Leave a comment if you plan to do your own "Important letter." Or if you haven't found your letter yet, I can give you one to think about. Even though I know, that Z is the best letter out there.
ZooMom is the Zippiest.
z00t

1 comment:

Job said...

ohmygosh i am on the floor laughing - from zaftig - which of COURSE i know what that means, i fit the profile too! - to Zebu! you are just too funny!!!! you should be a writer of books! you'd be so popular not to mention make millions!!!