7:08 and I am up again, showered, dressed, breakfasted, and waiting to wake the minions of Hades from their slumber. (The boys do not like to be awakened early.)
I have nervous/excited butterflies.
This time tomorrow, we'll be pulling out of the driveway for our 520 mile (according to mapquest) road trip. Now 520 miles seems daunting enough but I plan to do it with 4 boys ages 10, 7, 5, and 3...with me as the only adult.
I am crazy. That's all I can say.
ZooDad said he had a couple days of and I was crazy and desperate enough to pile us all on in the van so we could see him again.
things that I have on my mind.
What if I get sick? Sick on the road is bad enough. Sick on the road with 4 kids and you are the only adult will take some orchestrating.
What if I get a flat? I can change a tire. I have done it. But keeping 4 little ones safe on the side of the interstate while doing so adds a new challenge to the formula.
What if we get lost? Well, I don't get lost really. I'm one of those map fiends. But sometimes I do end up taking the wrong turn, it usually doesn't bother me but I have to worry about it anyway.
What if I lose a child somehow? Big time worry. Yesterday, we got an amber alert for a girl taken from a rest station. Note to self: take all boys into the restrooms with me and keep them under close observation at all times. No matter how much the other restroom women glare at me.
What if the van breaks down? It shouldn't but it could. Call insurance, arrange for a tow and then cry like crazy I guess. Get a rental and get back on schedule.
sigh
Tonight's agenda: No zyrtec no matter how bad my allergies are. Finish all trip preparations by 10 pm then an hour of the History Channel while drinking a beer.
Then hopefully 8 hours of sleep.
Cross your fingers for me.
1 comment:
Safe trip! It's hard not to worry when you are the only person responsible for all those other little lives, BUT most people are kind and generous, the car gets you around town all time and will probably get you to ZooDad, and if you get lost, you can always ask for directions. And certainly NEVER SEND YOUR CHILDREN INTO A REST STOP BATHROOM BY THEMSELVES! I don't care if there's boys in the girls room. It's not like we're doing our business out in the open. And always better safe than sorry.
Enjoy your visit!
Post a Comment