
Do any of you have that type of child?
The type that has creative make-believe play with a running commentary through out the whole scenario.
I've had 2 of them.
J, our oldest is now 10. But when he was smaller, we loved to play with toy figures, Winnie the Pooh characters mostly. He would spend hours in his own tiny little world carrying on conversations between the brightly-colored plastic critters. He never needed a playset for his creativity. The arm of the couch could easily be a mountain ridge. A pile of pillows was a cave to be explored.
I don't remember when he stopped doing this. I guess it was about the same time that his younger brother got old enough to play with.
S is almost 3 now. He has that same sense of creative play. Since he's the baby, he gets left out of the "big boys" play. It doesn't bother him. All he needs are some of those miniature Rescue Heros and he's away in his own little world.
Usually that little world is located right beside the chair I am sitting in.
While I'm typing, surfing, knitting or reading...he's acting out a multi-character play in several scenes. More often than not these plays involve shooting bad guys and blowing up space ships.
I try not to laugh as I'm taking in these litle scenes. I don't want to interfere with his intimate play. I also don't want to risk running him off to some other location. I like being part of his sound stage, his scenery for his imagination. It gives me insights on the values he has picked up and the way his little growing brain is shaping up.
"We'll make it work!" said the pilot of the one man space ship to the alien he was trying to rescue but had no room for. "I won't leave you behind. You're my friend."
He'll be a good man someday.
2 comments:
That's beautiful. You're wise not to run him off, because they really do stop. Too soon. And then I, er, you (general you, yeah, that's it) have to sit by their bedroom door to hear conversations and giggle over their play... yeah, couldn't be me who does that...
;-) Dy
I just found your blog through Dy. My oldest son is just like that! He will be three in July and I just love to listen in on his little scenarios.
What sweet stories we will have to tell them and their kids when they are grown!
Post a Comment