Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Well I fear I've made enemies with the new family.

I put up a sign to handle the constant visits.

The little guy was coming down to play at 12:30 on a school day. That's just a bit too early.
So I put up a sign so he would know when play time was and when we were still doing school or family stuff.
That's been working out fine.

But today I yelled.

We have two dogs. One, Stamper, is our "baby." We found him in the road, on our wedding night. He had parvo virus and was slowly dying. He lacks any normal dog sense and lives in perpetual puppy-dom. He's and part chow. But he has also inherited a shepherd's hip displasia. One hip was operated on and the ball was removed from his femur. The other hip is only 20% in socket but we couldn't put him through a second surgery. He's also an old dog. He'll be 12 this year and he's getting arthritis.

So when I saw a 7-year-old boy sitting on him like he was a little pony, I lost it.
I sent the little friend home and the older boys had to go upstairs to clean their room. They should have had the sense and the fortitude to tell their friend not to sit on their old pet.
(When I told ZooDad of the incident, he asked, "And what was Stamper doing? He was just taking it, wasn't he. He'll be limping tomorrow."
Yeah, the sweet, dumb boy was just taking it. He would never dream of complaining.)

As a precaution, I warned all the boys in the yard against sitting on the cat, hamster, and fish. It was a "Don't eat the daisies" moment.

I'll have to damage control, I'm sure.
But if you ever come over to play, please don't let the kid sit on my poor dogs.

No comments: