Thursday, March 09, 2006

So I can't see

I'm far sighted. I knew that. I have an astigmatism. I knew that too. But apparently, I've been cheating my eyes for so long that I am losing my far vision also. Or so my eye doc says. I've got new glasses on order, but they aren't the strength I really need. My eyes can't handle the correction I need so this in the middle ground for the next year or so.

Oh, and I am at risk for developing acute angle glaucoma. So I can't do a full dilation and have to see a ophthalmologist to see if he wants to do a pre-emptive iridectomy. My mom also has this. She's also had iridectomies on both eyes. Usually, if you are prone to this eye problem, it develops as you get older. It's a fast acting glaucoma and you can lose all eyesight in 24-72 hours if the pressure gets bad.

But my iris already has a low angle and last week I was having eye "headaches" bad enough to make me feel nauseous.

Joy.

But I have cute new glasses on order.
****It's not a state of denial. Some people are worriers. I prefer making a plan. As long as I have a plan and know what is going to happen, I'm all good. I'm in the "do what you can and then don't worry" camp of people. Plus stress increases eye pressure.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

I went in for new glasses because my up close vision has goten worse and worse. (It makes knitting frustrating.) I have never had my eye dialated and it had been 4 years since my last eye check.
So yes, it was a surprise but not totally unexpected. My mom, sister, 2 uncles, and my son have eye problems. Mom and her brother have acute angle glaucoma. Another uncle and my 7 year old have esotropia from far-sightedness.
It is scary. But thankfully, once you know it's a problem...you get a couple of laser holes in your iris and everything is good.
Fun huh?

Job said...

oh man Sheila. you sound so calm and together... can't wait to see the cute glasses! :-)