Wednesday, November 23, 2005

What's knit.

Here's A's acorn hat. ZooDad says it's a bit too feminine. (Ok..it is a bit girlish) But A likes it. It's (too) stretchy, soft, and just warm enough.
On the count of three, everybody charm mom.
S is hamming it up as usual.

My other project (other than my unfinished socks) is making new Christmas stocking for the boys. I had planned to do a colored initial on each stocking. Actually I had planned to do their whole names but that's a whole lot of letters. So I scaled it back to initials.
Then I couldn't figure out how to strand correctly, so I went to a tone on tone patterning for the initial. In this picture you can just make out the purl stitches that form he letter J. In real life, it shows up a whole lot more.
J designed this one
I started this one Sunday. If I can figure out the kitchener's stitch, I'll have it finished my Turkey Day. We are spending a couple of days at MIL's so I can knit non-stop.
Specs....about 14 inches long currently. This picure is a bit wonky on perspective. The top band is about 3 inches wide and the heel is much smaller IRL. The top band is seed stitch on #6 circular needles and the rest is stockinette on #8 DPN's. The initial is just a purl stitch that I graphed out on a knitting chart. I used cheap-o Wal-mart yarn at 2.88 a skein. The $10 worth of yarn should make 4 stockings. I want to crochet a tree skirt then I should be ready to start on some Christmas presents.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Cute kids! I came across your blog while I was doing a search for home school blogs. I was home schooled from K-12. I will admit there were times when I wanted to go to public school but looking back I am so thankful that my mom home schooled me. Keep up the good work