Wednesday, November 23, 2005

My "getting squashed again" update

If I had known there was a difference between a screening mammogram and a diagnostic mammogram, I would have been worried. "Diagnostic" sounds so scary. The difference is the size of the paddle and the types of pictures they take.

Every woman there was doing the "diagnostic" stuff so we were all creeped out and worried together. A female bonding moment of sorts. One particular lady caught my heart and I really hope that she got news as good as mine.

It appears that my first mammogram showed 2 small spots on my right side. The radiologist thought they might be lymph nodes. The diagnostic mammogram showed the same two spots so I had to have an ultrasound done. The U/S tech and the radiologist couldn't find the spots which led them to believe that the "spots" really are lymph nodes. (From what I was told, lymph nodes look like breast tissue on U/S versus bad stuff that looks like bad stuff on x-ray and U/S.)
I go back in 6 months for a repeat performance of x-rays and ultraound to make sure nothing is "changing."

So, I am in circling mode. No huge red flags but no "You're clean. We'll see you when you're 40." either. I kind of wanted the latter but I'll take the former over the other available options.

Do those self checks and have that mammogram if you've been putting it off.

**UPDATE**
My regular old doctor just called to let me know that he is refering me to a breast surgeon for follow-up stuff. Minimally another set of tests in 6 months but possibly more. Now that I have a "finding" this new doctor will coordinate all my breast health care.

WOW. I have a foot health doc, a woman stuff doc, an eye doc, a plain old doc, and now the breast doc. I'm getting pretty specialized and running out of body parts. LOL

1 comment:

Dy said...

Ack. I think it's the wait that gets us the most, isn't it? FWIW, I've also done the test and re-test, no-stand-this-way-little-more-to-the-right, hold your tongue, wait six months... ahhh, you're clean. Of course, then they want to pester you again well before you're 40, just for fun.

In the meantime, though, know that you're in my thoughts and prayers.

I *love* the acorn hat!!! And the boys - they are so beautiful, and they've grown SO MUCH! Wow. Zorak isn't too thrilled w/ James' choice of yarn for his winter scarf (it's lavender) - he says it's too girlie. Ah, well, you take that up w/ James, then, eh? (Yeah, right - and crush that beautiful smile? Ha! He'd rather die, so he just complains to me late at night. LOL.)

Dy