I am a hurricane junkie. I was in Columbia when Hugo hit; in Augusta when David hit, and in Fayetteville when Fran hit.
I also took meteorology as an elective right after Hugo. My professor concentrated on Thunderstorms and hurricanes. Lots of Lightening. Lots of Hugo.
So I watch everything hurricane related. I even plot them on my own little map and make strike predictions.
I am nerd.
Here's what I have noticed:
A hurricane (or four) hits Florida and Jeb Bush is out rallying. Supplies come in and the people are taken care of. Or course, his brother is the President of the United States. So you know brothers have each others backs.
A hurricane hits Alabama and the Governor is out rallying. Supplies come in and the people are taken care of. But he is Republican if that matters.
A hurricane hits Mississippi and the Governor is out rallying. Supplies come in and the people are taken care of. But he is Republican and one super strong political dynamo. In fact, he is the possible next presidential choice, if that matters.
A hurricane hits Louisiana and nobody is out rallying. The mayor is cussing and blaming. The governor was crying on TV and I haven't seen her since. According to her office, she started making some emergency orders on the 31st.
The 31st, she ordered the Special officers commission to, in a sense, deputize more officers
On the 1st, she ordered the emergency occupation of hotel and motel rooms.
On the 2nd, she ordered the evacuation of the affected area using buses, specifically school buses.
On the 3rd, was an order stating that there was a public health emergency. (Which the federal government did on Friday also.)
And also an order to commandeer private property and reduce state restrictions on imported items and supplies. There was a third order to release restrictions of road rules for transport trucks as in weight limits, size of beds,
ect.
That was Friday.
Before that, you had to follow state law.
If your truck was too big, you couldn't go.
If you didn't have paperwork, you couldn't go.
If you didn't pay the state tax, you couldn't bring in gas.
If you didn't have a CDL liscence, you couldn't throw people on a bus and head to Houston like that 18 year-old New Orleans young man did.
And speaking of the evacuees in Texas, there's a lot of them. They seem to have a very good emergency plan for disasters and massive releif. Who is the governor there? And who used to be?
Hmmm...well, that's all I know or can say. It's a deplorable situation on all levels.
2 comments:
I absolutely adore you! Just thought you should know.
Dy
Post a Comment