Apologies to Sean Paul for butchering his lyrics. (Which are far from brilliant but do tend to stick with you.)
I've been thinking about math lately.
obsessed actually.
Not that I'm thinking about doing math. I more consumed with math programs.
You see, we are the rare homeschoolers that use MCP math. It's inexpensive and schoolish. It's also self teaching and the TE has cool stuff in it. That's two bonuses in my book. MCP is the same company that makes Plaid Phonics and Spelling workout. So we aren't talking junk math here. It just doesn't have the SWB seal of Well Trained Mindness. ;)
So welcome to my thought process. I'll warn you. It's hurried, busy, sometime illogical and when it is logical...it makes big leaps. As ZooDad has said, "Your thought processes are scary."
I got to thinking. MCP math ends at 6th grade. So eventually, I am going to have to switch companies. Standard homeschool protocol dictates that Saxon is the program of choice, so the oldest ZooChild will have to start Algebra 1/2 in 7th grade.
(I fully understand that there is a chance that a zoochild will not be ready to start pre-algebra in 7th grade. If/when that happens, I won't make any kind of big deal at all and will just do what is best for that particular kid. So don't think I'm going to sacrifice any of the z-boys to the gods of mathematics. But taking higher math is a non-negotiable item in this household.)
Back in my head...I thought it would be a poor decision to change math programs at pre-algebra. I have repressed memories from my own experiences in pre-algebra. It was the beginnings of my long hatred of all things numerical. I'd like to avoid that issue with any of my brood.
So I came to this conclusion that I should switch for 6th grade to get one year of Saxon under his belt before doing algebra 1/2. Well, if one year is good preparation...then maybe two years would be better. (see how my mind works.)
J will be starting 4th grade soon. Two years of Saxon before pre-algebra would mean starting Saxon for 5th grade and...(the gears just spinning in my head.) our homeschool support group was having a used curriculum sale. If they had a used copy of Math 65, I could go ahead and get it for next school year.
Wow...I was so proud of myself. This was some serious planning. I was getting all the final details nailed down.
Then I had this idea to let J take that Saxon placement test. Afterall, we've all heard about how demanding Saxon is. And I know my goofball child will incorrectly answer 3x4 regularly. I really just wanted to make sure the boy could tread water in Saxon. But I also wanted to make sure that I was buying the right year at the used book sale.
Apparently, he could do more than tread water.
On the Math 54 through Algebra 1 test, he got all 10 of the first questions right. I was tickled pink. According to the Saon people, that meant that he could start math 65 now! (I need a big eyed smiley.)
He went on to get 5 out of the next 10 correct...which translated into starting math 76...now! A fourth grade child taking math 76!
Well, I knew that wasn't going to happen. So I started looking into the programs. Checking out websites. Would Singapore be better? What about Right Start? A friend recommended math-U-see. Another said that the boys needed Singapore.
Then my darling ZooDad...who is a pure genius of the obvious...said, "Why not just keep in in what he's been using? Obviously, it got him where he is."
Clunk. Skreeeeeeeeech
That was my running mind getting hit and slamming on brakes.
Obvious answer.
If his current math has him ready for Math 76 now. I'm sure he'll be ready for pre-algebra in 3 more years. So that eliminates any need to switch boats early.
See this is why I need my hubby around and not traveling. He needs to put the brakes on my brain more often and help me track down escaped hamsters.* So now, I'm right back where I was originally. With my 4th grade MCp book. I will try to be content. try.
*Don't worry Jacqui. The renegade rodent has been rounded-up and is not safely ensconced in his plastic home. You can safely come over. I still want you to bring the math-u-see...just in case. (hee, hee, hee)
3 comments:
I'll just say....I don't think Saxon is the "be all that ends all" that most of the hs community thinks it is (or at least those around here).
Hee hee. I love it when we're given a balance in our lives. Zorak does that for me, too. I'm thankful b/c we could inadvertently end up living at Arcosanti for a semester by the time I reasoned my way out of using a traditional study of socalism. It would be bad, indeed.
LMBO @ the scary thought processes comment! Now, that's love, ain't it? ;-)
Dy
I am LOL! I'll bring the MUS with me!!!
Post a Comment