Wednesday, May 18, 2005

My World History education

When I was in school, I really didn't pay attention to history. My first history/geography memory was learning states and capitals in 6th grade. In 7th grade we had geography, and I had to learn all the world countries. I can remember taking weekly quizzes where we had to label the countries on a world map. Once we got a 100, we could stop taking the quizzes. I don't remember anything else from that year.
8th grade was American History. I had a grumpy teacher that hated that the the gifted kids missed her class one a week. I was one of the gifted kids. I remember her annoyance but I don't remember anything she taught.

I finally learned something in 9th grade World History. Mr. Hadden, who looked exactly like that blue eagle from The Muppet Show, inspired me to pay attention. Not really inspired....I wanted to do well ont he test because that made him happy and I wanted to make him happy.

I really didn't care about the history.

But I did eventually learn about World history and it was in a very stange place.

It was an Art History Course.
We started with the caves of Lascaux and Chauvet and we went through renaissance (We even covered one of my favorite artists... Jan Van Eyke.)

The professor would show slides of artwork and then explain the history that led up to these pieces. He told us the stories behind the artwork, explained the social aspects that the cultures held when these pieces were created, the kings, the leaders, the wars, the conquests. He took us back to the people who created these pieces of art.

So I learned history through art.

I am going though SOTW and teaching my on children. I feel disconnected when just reading the words. I need pictures. Sargon the Great? Oh I recognize that line drawing... that's the bronze bust of Sargon. Let me find the picture. Do you see the hair? His wair was long and curly, but look at the top of his helmet. The artisits fashioned the waves of hair in the metal and that shows how proud they were of their hair.

The Vikings? Oh... the intricately carved metalwork. You should see it. thier swords were carved down the entire blade.

The Mayas....stone carvings, regal and symbolic.

Imagine my joy when I stumbled upon the Timeline of Art History from the Met. This is my kind of history. We use this site every day.
Make sure you visit this place daily. You can find everything right there. Lists of rulers. Artwork. History.

But let me warn you... once you get there...it'll be an hour before you leave again.

No comments: