Monday, May 23, 2005

May the Force be with him!

For Christmas, ZooDad bought me a 4 disc Star Wars DVD collection. These are the original episodes with Luke, Leia, and Han Solo. (I didn't ask for these so I fear they may have been a present for ZooDad.)

I thought it would be a good idea for the boys to watch these movies to prepare for the final episode. I explained that I was M's age when episode IV came out and J's age when episode V came out. They watched #IV with few questions but last night we watched #V and boy did we have some conversations. I laughed all night at the stuff they were coming up with.

J: What wrong with Yoda?
Me: What do mean 'What's wrong" with him?
J: Well.....He sounds like Kermit.

Hee, hee, hee.

The movie: We must destroy the son of Skywalker.
J: Hey Mom! Luke's last name is Skywalker?
Me: yep...Luke Skywalker.
J: What was Anakin's last name?
Me: Skywalker
J: So you do you think Anakin was Luke's Dad?
Me: Yep, Anakin is Luke's dad.
J: Well when did that happen!"

M: Mom, when you were little, was there Star Wars stuff everywhere?
Me: Yep, everywhere you looked.
M: Well, you'd think they'd come up with something new.
(You would think.)

J: Mom, if Anakin is Luke's father and Anakin is Darth Vader...that means that Darth Vader is Luke's father.
me: yep...you figured it out. but Luke doesn't know yet.
J: Ooooooooohhhhhh, that's whay all the show dramatically say..."I am your father!" (he says this in the "Vader" voice.) That's cool.
(That fills in some gaps in knowledge. I guess he didn't get all those references on Toy Story, Fairly Oddparents, or Jimmy Neutron.)


J: So how did they do yoda?
Me: what do mean?
J: Is he a robot?
Me: Nooooo.
J: Is computer drawn?
Me: No they didn't have that back then. He's a puppet.
J and M: a puppet??????
J: Well, he sure doesn't look like a puppet but it does explain why he sounds like Kermit.

M: So why didn't they draw Yoda with a computer, Mom? Didn't they have electricity when you were young?
(I was too busy laughing to answer.)

2 comments:

Dy said...

I am LITERALLY LOL here. At first, I started giggling and told Zorak, "She got a Homer bowling ball for Christmas." (Have to be a Simpsons fan for that one to click.)

But the boys have me in STITCHES! They're hilarious, and they're great kids w/ awesome insight.

Have you given thought to steering them in the MST3K direction for their teen years?
Dy

Sheila said...

ZooDad is a Simpson fan and has already introduced it to the older boys. He also loved King of the Hill.
Thankfully, it wasn't my only present. I picked out a digital camera right after Thanksgiving so I could forgive him of that one.

ZooDad and I do the MST3K thing for CSI: Miami. It makes the show so much more fun.
But we are alreading grooming the boys for a love of Sci-fi and bad movies.