Sunday, May 15, 2005

Baseball, bike crashes, and "byes"

Saturday was another day at the baseball field. I was so proud of M and the rest of my T-ball guys. They actually threw to a base other than first. Yes! We got three outs: one at first, one at second, and one at third. Of course, outs don't count in t-ball...But the boys actually made plays.
WOW!!!!!

J's batting is improving. He gets a hit with every at bat. He doesn't keep team score. He's just happy when he scores a run. And this year...He's pretty happy.

Until today...He took a spill on his bike. He and M were riding down in the cul-de-sac with a few other kids. I've been wary to let them ride bike in the street but it is a quiet loop and there are lots of other kids...So for the past few weeks, I've let them ride down there as long as someone was in the yard.

J overcompensated and fell off his bike on the asphalt. (For the uninitiated, blacktop is a smooth black surface. It is great for skating. Asphalt has rock in the surface. Bad for skating..bad to fall on.)
The kid looked like he fell on a cheese grater. He got both hands, an elbow, and a massive scrape on his knee. He took off a quarter size section, about an eight inch deep.

It bled. Thankfully, I already had large and medium stretchy bandages, peroxide, and triple anti-biotic ointment on hand. M ran to get ZooDad, who had to carry J home. Then M brought back both bicycles while the two littlest boys freaked out about their biggest brother being hurt.
All seems to be well now. But I am going to keep a sharp eye for infection. The boy was tore up!

After all the cut and scrapes were doctored, I had to pack Zoodad for a two week trip. He's off the Arizona for a bit. He left at 2:40 and he's already called home 3 times. He's a bonafide home body who hates to leave his little zoo cage. If he could work from home...he would. And he'd never leave unless forced. Unfortunately, he has to travel.

So I am hobbling along with the 4 boys and no helper. My foot is doing remarkably well. I grocery shopped today. No small feat for my banged-up foot. This week will be busy. We have yet another physical therapy session for me plus A's Wednesday stuff, the last den meeting for scouts, the last t-ball practice, the last baseball practice, and then the very last games on Saturday.

I like all these "lasts."

1 comment:

Dy said...

OH NO!!! It's a bicycle gravitational attack! Poor guy. I hope he's feeling better soon. Sounds like you are FAR more prepared than I was. I had to dig through my homebirthing kit for the Dermaplast b/c the hydrogen peroxide and Bactine were still in a box somewhere.

Here is a cup of coffee, some cake, and a toast to a peaceful, quiet week! *cheers* (clink glasses here)

Dy