This is day three of my "shake that funk" project. Saturday, day one, there was much shopping. I drove up to the next little town, away from all the visiting golfers, and went to my favorite teacher supply store. There wasn't much I wanted. That makes me happy. I must be more satisfied with my curriculum choices than I realised. Then it was off to my hoity-toity plant shop to pick up some plants. They were all out of Spirea ( I want two for the back yard.) but I did manage to get hostas and gardenias. Then off to Home Depot to get all the stuff ZooDad needed.
Further toilet repairs included replaced the boys' toilet seat with one that removes for cleaning. It snaps off. That is a brilliant idea. Kudos to the mom of multiple boys who must have thought that one up.
Then Zoodad had to repair the mission style couch. The thing just flat out broke. Friday night, Zoodad was attempting to rest on it while the monkey boys were climbing over the ladderback and jumping on him. Then there was a crack. They broke my couch.
Thankfully it was repaired with several very long screws and new drill bit.
Since he had been so successful with the couch repairs, Zoodad then decided to go ahead and finish the handrails for the deck. I supervised and assisted where needed. I now have a 99% completed deck. We still need cap rails, but at least now, the boys won't fall off the side of the steps.
While we worked on the deck, the boys did some moving for me. They moved the leftover firewood from the front porch back to the firewood stack. They moved all my plant purchases from the front to the correct plant beds. Moved 6 bags of top soil and 8 bales of pinestraw. I was so impressed. They were so proud of themselves too. They'd load up the Red Flyer wagon and pull it around then unload it. The two oldest worked together to lift the bags of topsoil. I didn't even know they could lift that much. Boy labor is a good thing.
As a reward for all their hard work yesterday, today we are putting out the top soil and planting their flower garden. They have chosen sunflowers, zinnieas, and cleomes. J wants me to pick up some tiger lilies to add to the bunch. (By the way, clomes get really tall and when not blooming, look an awful like a certain prohibitive weed.)
Oh, I have to add this.
Wednesday we had a marathon of doctor and therapists visits so we had McDonald's for lunch. (The children's hospital has one in the lobby.) the boys and I played "I Spy" with the abstract paintings that decorate the eating area. At one particular painting we said things like, "If you turn your head, there's a light house. If you turn your head, there's a man playing the guitar. If you turn you head, there's a sunset on a beach." The J finally said, "Hey Mom, that's not an abstract. That's an impressionist. They hung it sideways." We all looked, head cocked sideways and had to agree with him. It was a picture of a man with a guitar on a beach with a lighthouse and the sun setting on the water behind him.....sideways.
Or course we all broke out laughing when we noticed other people with their head cocked sideways trying to figure out what we were looking at.
No comments:
Post a Comment