Friday, March 11, 2005

Homeschool March Madness

Yes, it's that time of year again. The catalogs have started arriving. Those glossy pics filling my mind with unfulfilled educational opportunities. Lakeshore tempts me. Oh I need all that stuff! What beautiful tables and cubbies and COOL organizers!
Catalogs make me anxious to scrap everything and start anew. We need new science. We need new math. Maybe Singapore math will turn my little guys into math geniuses. What kind of bad mom am I to deny them such a powerful tool for understanding math!

Catalog guilt!
My kids don't own enough books!
My kids don't have enough math practice.
We've haven't done nearly enough Latin!
My kids don't write well enough.
And we are behind.
I need something to fix it! Maybe I'll find in in Rainbow Resource when that catalog shows up.
Maybe I should send them to school.
Frantic. That's me. Every March.


Then I stop and actually think for a minute. Maybe I could add some Singapore or maybe I should fully implement the math I have first. The kids aren't behind. They aren't compared to anything but themselves. If I compare them to the poor children locked up in our local schools...they are certainly on average with them. Calm down.

yeah...easier said than done.

No comments: