So I'm 6 days late on the whole Resolution thing...but I've decided that from this day on...I will blog 5 days out of 7. I can do that. I think
Oh yeah...and lose some weight too. If I can remember to blog and then hop on the treadmill, I might achieve that.
So I am 6 days behind.
Yesterday I had an excuse though.
My little dictator, M, had eye surgery yesterday. He has a variety of eye issues: amblyopia, congenital esotropia, accommodative esotropia, exotropia after his last surgery, and 4th nerve palsy.
We was diagnosed when he was three. He wore glasses for a years, then stronger glasses. At age 4 he started wear a patch for 8 to 10 hours a day to get his weak eye stronger. At that time he was 20/80 in that eye. He is now 20/30. Then at age 5, he had surgery to try to keep his eyes from turning inward...since the optics and patching had not totally succeeded.
The surgery was not entirely successful either. He was left with an intermittent exotropia. (eyes wandering outward every now and then.) Yesterday was his second surgery. The hope was to bring his wandering eye back inward.
We suspect that now his eyes will turn slightly inwards, which...hopefully...can be fixed with glasses.
And our final hope is that will help align his up and down problem caused by the fourth nerve palsy, avoiding yet another surgery.
Being a parent is hard. You become quite educated on things you never wanted to or expected. I have learned about eye issues, hernias, heart defects, gastro-intestinal issues, speech deficits, sensory disorders, and developmental delays...plus all the 'normal' childhood issues like hand, foot, and mouth, croup, ear infections, and chicken pox.
My pediatrician once joked that I should write a book on "How to know when something is wrong with your child." I'm hoping that someone else does so I can read it.
BTW, M is going just fine. He's playing Age of Mythology with his older brother. Amazing.
1 comment:
I'm glad the surgery went well.
Parenting is hard sometimes. Perhaps the most difficult task we'll ever face, if we really put ourselves into it (which, really, we ought to be doign!) And it is like no other thing in the world, isn't it? You're doing a fine job, Mama!
Kiss that sweet boy (but, you know, after the game and all...)
Dy
Post a Comment