It will be here before I figure out Photoshop.
Since losing her husband of almost 54 years, my mom has been a little depressed. I can't blame her. I miss my Daddy so much that I can't put it into words.
She doesn't want anything for Christmas this year. At least nothing anyone here on earth could give her. So I thought I would just do something for her. At my Daddy's funeral I was asked to bring some pictures the funeral home so we could remember what he was like before cancer. I searched through a box of photographs my father gave me and I found what I am sad to say....is the last professional photograph of my parents together. It was taken when I was 3 or so. I remember having it done. It was a photo shoot for the church directory. There is a shot of the three of us and then one of my mom and dad.
As you can see, the photo is in need of repair.
And I am attempting to do that.
So I'm doing some crash courses on Adobe Photoshop. It is very frustrating.
Thankfully, I have a photo printer so I can just print that puppy when I finally get it done.
Mom requested that I do something about her horn-rims and to make her look younger. I love the horn rims and think she looks wonderful. In this picture she's a little older that I am now.
I especially love that 43 year old man who is healthy and grinning. I remember that grin so well. That was the grin that said "come on...let's get some ice cream. But don't tell your Mom this time." That was the grin that followed, "Hey Pumpkin!"
I miss that grin.
I miss that man.
Cancer is cruel. It robs you of the most wonderful people. It tortures them and wears them down. You watch them suffer for so long that you forget the joy, and happiness, and sweetness that their faces once held.
But I was blessed.
Right before we found out that the cancer was back, I took my Daddy to get new glasses. He was right proud of them. You could see it in his face, the way he held himself, the way he smiled. They made him feel good. About 2 weeks before he died, we were sitting in the hospital, watching the Olympics together. He had on his nice new glasses. ("You just wouldn't believe the compliments I've gotten on these glasses, Pumpkin.") He had just gotten his hair cut and was looking rather spiffy. We sat and watched the athletes and talked about politics and the kids. We talked about everything but the cancer that had been the topic of discussion for 5 years.
He looked just like that happy man in the picture and I wouldn't trade that moment for the world.
1 comment:
{{{hugs}}} Daddies are special, aren't they?
How did the picture turn out?
dy
Post a Comment