I would like to say that the day went smoothly with no tears or problems. That we all had a grand time and we loving and creative. That all the boys in the Zoo were cooperative and willing to work hard.
But that would be a big...fat...lie!
ZooDad took off for a week-long trip. I should have known that would set the boys off a little. Plus we had speech today, so we had a timetable that had to be adhered too. Then basketball practice. I just should have realized that I was setting up a tough situation.
Almost all the planned work was finished...with some prodding, forcing, and tears. We skipped history...again. It is the one subject that just gets swept under the rug.
I'm hoping today will be better. I hate being the task master. Days like yesterday really make me give second thoughts to homeschooling. Not because I think I can't provide the boys with a good education but because I feel the teacher/child relationship sometimes interferes with the mom/son relationship.
But I know sending them to school wouldn't fix anything. My sons just don't have that school mentality. J's gentle spirit would be broken immediately. He would either change to fit in or he would be miserable. M would find the lack of rule enforcement unbearable. He would also face teasing for his eye issues, become more self conscious and withdraw. A....well, I don't know if he would ever be in a regular classroom. He would be in a self-contained classroom for at least 3 years. Our local school system has a self contained 3 year old speech special ed class. We have already been pushed to enroll him.
Yeah...that's what I want to do. Send him to special-ed at 3. Put that label on him for the rest of his life.
So I know in my heart that homeschooling IS the best thing for them. I know that the education I give them is superior to what a school could provide them. I just need the strength of spirit to make that happen. I'm hoping today is much better.
So far it seems to be. Math is done and verbs are conjugated. No major wars have broken out and nobody's cried.
1 comment:
Wouldn't it be nice to post days like we'd like them to be? Or, rather, if they were all just as we'd like them to be? *sigh*
I'm glad the surgery went well and that you knew they'd need some time to come down from all the excitement. Two major bonus points for homeschooling there.
Once the boys are in bed, maybe sit down and write them a letter (draw A a picture) that tells them what you really enjoy about them, and about being their Mom. Tuck it into their jacket pockets (or somewhere you know they'll find it tomorrow). And treat yourself to a treat, Mom. You hung in there and that's half the battle.
Dy
Post a Comment