Thursday, January 13, 2005

Better Days with some General Grumpiness

Well Tuesday was better, Wednesday was a good as it could be.

Tuesday we played, did some work, played, did some work. Worked out on the deck in the sun. It went quickly and before we knew it, it was time for dinner, baths, and bedtimes. With ZooDad out of town, I get to be a single parent. When he is gone, I tend to roll into bed the same time the kids do.

Yesterday, was as productive as it could be. Wednesday is appointment day. M had his check up with the eye doctor. She didn't do any assessments. Mainly she needed to make sure there was no infection and that the eye muscles hadn't slipped.
All is well on the eye front.

Then is was a quick lunch at Micky D's and we were off to A's appointments. He has Occupational therapy and speech therapy every Wednesday. (And speech again on Monday.) That gives us two hours in the waiting room to work on school stuff. That depends on how distracting the waiting room is. I am amazed at how many people just do not control their kid at all. Yesterday, as the boys attempted to work on their SOTW worksheets, two children kept asking them their paper and colored pencils. I repeatedly and kindly (and loud enough for the parent to hear) said that the boys were working on school work and that they were using those supplies to finish their work. When I gave these children a sheet of blank paper found in my book, they pretty much pushed my kids away from the pencils and took over the area. They threw pencils. They pushed and shoved. They even attempted to tear other paper out of the boys' notebooks.
The parent said nothing the whole time. Oh, and her baby child took my baby child's pacifier out of his mouth and put it in her own. (ARRRGGGGGG!) And then pushed my stroller all over the waiting room.


I'm hoping that these kids are associated with a child just doing eval during our time slot and are not going to be weekly visitors when we are visiting. If they are, we'll have to hang out in the hallway because that is valuable school time for us. I know that sounds horribly ugly. But we've been doing school in the waiting room for 14 months. I make sure all of my children are quiet and well behaved. Baby S learned to walk in the waiting room and he even knows how to behave.


I don't expect quiet in a children's waiting area but I sure don't expect to be babysitting other people's kids either.

So FWIW the smiling mom in the waiting room who is humoring your children as they climb all over her and throw school supplies around the room...she is not happy with you and your lack of parenting skills. She thinks your kids are brats and would tell you so if she weren't trying to be a civilized person. If you'd stop watching soaps n the waiting room TV long enough to look over you'd realize that.

1 comment:

Dy said...

Yes. To all of it. {{{hugs}}}