Sunday, January 30, 2005

Conversations in the Van

This is just a quick post because I had to make a record of this precious conversation that explains a lot about my 6 year old's personality.

Thursday evening, I went to tuck him in on his lower bunk bed and my little 6 year old "M" was crying. "I don't want Stamper and Angel to die. And I don't want Max to die either." Stamper and Angel are our dogs. Max is out cat. Apparently, his older brother had told him that dogs only live about 15 years and that our dogs were already 10 years old.
So I spent some time comforting him and explaining that all creatures die eventually. I tried to focus on the fact that Max is only 2 years old and has a lot of time left.

Friday morning, we were in the van and we had the following conversation.

M:Mom, Max is 4 years younger than me right?"

Me: Yep, Max was even born in the same month as you. When you turn 7, Max will be 3.

M: And when I turn 10, Max will be 6. And I'll be 19 when Max dies.

Me: Well it depends on how long Max lives. But you'll be a lot older than you are now.

M: I'm glad people live longer than pets do.

Me: Me too.

M: If you were a cat, you'd be dead by now. (Older brother J glares at him.)

Me: Well, I'd certainly be an old cat.

M: No, you'd be a dead cat. (J glares at him again.)

Me: Well, when you get as old as I am, I'll still be alive.

M: Yeah....but you'll be in a nursing home.


AAAACCCKKKKKK! What a funny kid.

2 comments:

Dy said...

Oh dear! I'm rofl here! That is so precious. I love how they categorize things and find a way to parallel new concepts into what they already know. And they're so cute in the process.
Dy

MommyLydia said...

*wry* I guess this isn't the time to point out that sometimes mommies die when kids are small?

I don't know how I will approach this conversation with my little ones. My best friend died (complete surprise. Not a lingering illness or anything) when her son was 5 so I don't see how I will ever be able to promise my children that I will still be around when they get to be any age in particular. It's simply out of my control.