Saturday, January 08, 2005

Boy Moms, Boys, and Basketball

Today was my first scrimmage as a Basketball coach. I won't even tell you that I knew what I was doing. Amazingly though, the boys played wonderfully, showed all their amazing talent, and the parents of these awesome boys were happy with what we had done so far.
Whew...big sign of relief. One of my biggest concerns is that I wouldn't do right by these boys. That I wouldn't be able to help them learn and grow. And I was afraid that I would let the parents' down.
We have one more practice before the first game and I know what we need to work on. We need to learn two plays, work on defense, and practice making those shots. My co-coach is incredible and I have faith that he can come up with a couple of plays for the boys. I can't. I've ordered "Basketball for Dummies" because I can't tell the difference between a "pick" and a "screen." Plus I have no clue what the positions are. That is sad for the coach to admit.

We had fun. The boys felt good about what they were doing. They worked hard.
I was darn proud of them and relieved with myself.

While there, I dropped off two bags of clothes for a friend of mine's daughter. My friend has 2 boys and a girl. She has successfully mastered that whole boy/girl mom thing. I am in awe of her most days. Heck....I'll admit it. I'm in awe of her everytime time I see her. She's one of those homeschool Mom's that really has her stuff together. She is comfortable being a girl mom and a boy mom. She can talk cub scouts and American heritage girls.

Me...I'm not so "all-together." I manage though. But I am most definitely a boy mom. I can't get the girl thing at all. I can deal with boys of all ages. I can deal with lots and lots of boys. But I can deal with one or two girls for a limited time. More than that and I'm seeking an alcoholic beverage to dull my throbbing head. I'm not sure why that is. After all, I was a girl. I should understand girls.
Maybe that is the problem. I was a girl. I know about that whole "queen bee" thing and hated it as a girl and hate it now as a woman. I guess now I've gotten to a point where I can chose not to deal with that stuff anymore...so I don't.

I chose to shoot baskets. I chose to help dig up worms. I chose to whittle soap bars and build pinewood derby cars. I chose to play with train sets and legos. I chose all that boy stuff.

Most nights I check up on my pack of boys after they have all gone to sleep. I am amazed at what I have brought into the world: these future husbands and fathers. And I hope that I am doing a good job as a boy mom. I pray that I am doing right by them in all things and not just in basketball.
And I am thankful for the opportunity to be their mom.

1 comment:

Dy said...

Sheila, this is one of my favorite posts! What a great place you're in. I know the feeling of being a "boy mom". We have neighbors with girls- wonderful girls who I love and adore, but, bless 'em they'd be miserable in my house. LOL!

WTG on the coaching! You are one very Cool Boy Mom! WOOHOO!

Dy