Thursday, September 24, 2009

First Pack Meeting 2009

Our Pack has really grown this year. We have 75 registered Cubs and Webelos. Tuesday night, 38 of them came to the pack meeting. That's pretty good considering that the fall soccer program is huge here and we're in the middle of football season also.

All the boys were excited and happy to get involved. I had 5 Boy Scouts at the meeting whom helped my Most Awesome Assistant Cub master herd all the boys into the largest game of Duck, Duck, Goose that I've ever seen. (We had multiple Ducks. It was a fun chaos.)

While the MAAC entertained the boys, I met with parents about popcorn sales, the upcoming Scout event on post, and our plans for Boo! Camp.

We have so many people interested in camping that we are skipping our District Spook-o-Ree and are hosting our own fall camp out instead. We're going Tent-or-Treating. We're going to have games like Doughnut-on-a-string, Pumpkin bowling, Spider Toss, Mummy and Ghost Relays, Bobbing for apples, and pumpkin painting. Or course there will be a campfire with scary stories, songs, skits, and s'mores. We'll even throw in a pack fellowship dinner and a service project for the church that gives us the entire lakefront campsite with a playground, swim areas, full kitchen, rec room, and seriously hot water in the showers for $40....for the whole weekend. We have the place to ourselves, it's only 15 miles from our church, and it has cell phone service.

Now I just have to get planning the activities. Anyone have any other ideas for activities?

3 comments:

Tish said...

Totally. Stealing. These. Ideas. Seriously.

LimeGreen said...

Actually, I'm not Limegreen, I'm his mom. I am amazed at the size of your cub pack!! How do you do it? My son's pack is about 23 registered and 20 coming out on a cub night, and that is a VERY healthy well attended group where we live. There is just too much competition with other activities now and the numbers in scouting have gone down(in Canada).
On another note, I am going through science curriculum choices and I noticed you went from Singapore to Science Explorer and wondered if you could tell me your opinion on the programs and why the switch to Explorer.......and how easy it is to run the labs in both Singapore and Explorer.
Thanks Zillions,
Robin

Ann Y said...

how about tug of war over the caldron -- adult and kid participation and make it a sand pit rather than mud.
Eyeball search -- peeled grapes in a container (with a wide enough mouth to get a hand in) and coins on the bottom different values. Utz Pretzles big plastic container comes to mind.
You all will have a great time! It's a wonderful weekend plan for the family and the scouts!