Thursday, November 18, 2010

The power of "No."

To prepare for the big move, I've had to drop most of my responsibilities.
Those who know me in real life know that I am a "do-er." If something needs to be done.... I do it.
Over the years I have racked up a lot of experiences that I can keep on my resume.

I've been cub scout den leader, advancement coordinator, popcorn kernel, treasurer, cub master and Boy Scout Merit badge counselor. I've planned camp outs, Blue and Gold banquets, sold popcorn, decorated parade floats, and sang more songs than I can count.

I've planned fundraisers and carnivals. I've taught co-op classes and private lessons. I've coordinated field trips, social activities, and achievement testing.
I've baked, crafted, and hauled kids around for events.
I even ran a food drive for several years.

Any need, at any time.... If you asked me to do something, my answer was always "Sure."

With the move, I've had to stop. I've had to say no. "No," does not come easy for me.. I know I can't do it all but the guilt I feel is immense. It just goes against my nature to watch and not help. It feels selfish.

But I am learning the power of "no."

I'm learning that other will step up if the usual people aren't available. I'm learning that events will fail if people aren't that interested in participating....and that's ok. I'm learning that taking personal responsibility away from people does not serve them in the long run.
I'm also learning to be selective in choosing to do things that benefit our family.

ZD said that it was time to "shake the blanket" and give me time to relax. He's a wise man that ZooDad. He respects the power of "no."

1 comment:

Pensguys said...

Good Zoodad......and Zoomom.