I have a Star Scout, a Second Class Scout, a Junior Webelos, and a Wolf Cub. I'm Cub Master of our pack, a leader trainer for both the District and the Council, a merit badge counselor for the troop and an active scout parent.
All this means that we have scouts all the time. Every day I am doing something for scouts.
All this means that we have scouts all the time. Every day I am doing something for scouts.
Let's just look at this week.
Monday was a troop meeting for two of the boys. Tuesday was a committee meeting for our pack. Today, I am meeting with a couple of boys for the Environmental Science Merit badge. Tomorrow, I have to get emails ready to send out about pack events, popcorn sales, and leader training. Friday, I take oldest boy to his Order of the Arrow Ordeal. And Saturday, we have a Webelos Den meeting. And I need to swing by the Scout shop and get a new uniform shirt and more patches to sew on.
And that's just this week. In October we have scouting events every single weekend...including 3 camp outs. And that's on top of den meetings, troop meetings, and merit badge classes.
I love it though.
There is nothing more satisfying than watching little boys become young men.
This month's Scouting Character Trait is Responsibility.
Saturday, I watched a group of 4th graders work together to decide on a patrol badge, name, and yell....all without any intervention from the parents.
And they did it in 10 minutes with no fighting, no hurt feelings, and in the end, everyone was happy. They started their athlete badges and had to record their own results on their own papers that they carried around. They didn't ask for help. I spoke with them about the schedule for the upcoming Arrow Quest and they each planned which classes they wanted to do. They are looking forward to patrol cooking.
All the parents were amazed and impressed with their sons' new found Independence.
That's what Scouting does and why I happy spend my time with it.
1 comment:
I have a bear cub here and I'm enjoying being part of scouts as much as he is, I think!
Post a Comment