Tuesday, August 31, 2010

So What's been going on in the Zoo?

It's been 7 months since I've posted. I didn't mean for that to happen but I was overworked and then started dealing with some depression. I didn't realize how bad the depression was until I plotted out exactly how I could end my life and cause as little hardship to my family as possible.

That scared me into talking to my husband and seeking some help. Now, after 2 months of medication and counseling, I'm feeling much more like my normal self. I've learned the value of saying "no" and I've finally accepted that I cannot do it all, nor should I even try.

I know I've disappointed some people in-real-life with my new found selfishness but I'm beyond the point of trying to please everyone to the extent of damaging myself. As ZD put it, my family needs me around way more than any outside person needs me to do some disposable activity.
So the new Sheila is not doing nearly as much as the old Sheila used to and is feeling a whole lot less guilty about what she's not doing.

But I'm ready to get back to sharing the activities of our daily life.
The reader's digest version: I have a new Boy Scout. I went to Boy Scout camp. I spent a week at Cub Scout Day Camp. I camped. I camped. I did scout stuff. We finished the school year and found out that one of the boys has dyslexia. (Which explains the reading problems.) My favorite Uncle passed away due to cancer. We swam a lot. The boys went tubing. I read, I knitted, and I played around with my Cricut. We found out that one of the boys has asthma and that has placed his football career on hold. Another boy finished 6 years of speech therapy.
I made a huge change to our school year by adding Calvert school. (I really enjoy it.) And I started homeschooling a high schooler. (OMG!!! High School!)
Oh....and we just found out where we will be moving next summer. We'll be in sunny El Paso. That's sure going to be a change of pace.

And there was much more but it's all a blur.

5 comments:

Tish said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better . . . I kind of wondered if something was up, but since I'm not the best at keeping in touch, I figured I was just out of the loop. Good for you for dropping some activities! I, for one, always wondered how you kept that whirlwind in motion. ;o)

Nisha said...

I had wondered about you too. I'm glad you're doing okay now. I've been thru the depression stuff, in the past and fairly recently. You do what you need to for yourself. Your real friends will understand, and the ones that don't, you don't need anyway. I'm sorry about the favorite uncle passing away. If it's who I'm thinking of, he was a really good guy.
I'm sorry you aren't thrilled about where you are headed next year, but at least Texas has really fantastic homeschool laws, great programs, and you'll be about 5-6 hours from ME!! That means we might actually be able to see each other, and I'm thrilled about that. LOL And we live out here by Bisbee and Tombstone and there is a really great cave fairly close by. There are also some cave paintings in New Mexico that are about half way between where we are and where you'll be.
I think you'll miss people, but you'll end up liking the area.

Becca said...

So glad you are back and better!! I have a high schooler this year too, OMG is right!!

We've only been gone from El Paso for just over a year and I miss it. Going from GA you will love the dry dry weather and NO BUGS. It's really windy though! There's a great yarn shop about 45 min. away in Las Cruces too. Ft. Bliss is wonderful and I happen to have a friend homeschooling 2 boys who just moved out there.

They have SuperTarget there too! Oh, and you just gave me the WORST craving for tamales.

mere said...

Welcome Back!

I am so sorry you've had to deal with depression. I am so glad that you decided to talk to your husband and get help.

And while you'll be in El Paso you'll still be in the greatest state in the world...TEXAS. (yes, I am totally biased!)

Welcome back!

mere

Hopewell said...

I'm glad you are ok and that you are back. I lived thru a time like that and I know the pain and fog that go with it. I'm keeping you in my prayers! My Mom was a Calvert "correspondence school" kid in the 40s and it's still an awesome program!! Welcome Back!