Tuesday, November 03, 2009

The Army Giveth and the Army Taketh Away ... plus some knitting

ZD was all excited about his upcoming change of duty station, even though I was a little reluctant to move to a place where all the "trees" were better classified as tall bushes.

Well the General is not as big a fan of change as ZD is. So the change of duty station is not going to happen for quite some time.
Nope.

So I'm back to wondering if we'll ever end up somewhere that I can wear all those neat hand knit things. I'd love to make some mittens and sweaters that actually have sleeves.
Because I live in the sweltering South, I'm limited in what I can knit and actually wear for more than a two week period in February.

Here's my one and only sweater.

The color is off in this picture. It's really more of a lilac.

The Details: This sweater, which is more like a glorified vest, was knit in the round from the bottom up. (I love that.) It made out of KnitPicks shine which is a cotton. This puppy weighs a ton, but it doesn't stretch out of shape through the day like most cotton knitwear is prone to do.

All in all, I love it. It was fun to knit and looks great on me. I may pick out that that bind off edge at the neckline and do a few more rows of decreases and make the seed stitch trim a little larger. The boat neck is my only beef with the entire pattern. Oh, the pattern is from the Fall '09 issue of Interweave Knits and was simple enough for me to understand.

Here's a little closeup of the heart-shaped cables up the front. These were so much fun after I learned how to cable without a cable needle.

This little seed stitch section in tactically delicious. My niece has requested a sweater made entirely of seed stitch so she can pet it all day.
And since the weather has finally gotten a little cooler, I might be able to wear it for a couple of hours.

4 comments:

Pensguys said...

PRETTY!!! Definitely wear it on Thursday...I'll be at PE.

So you're NOT moving now?

Sheila said...

We will move, just a year later than we expected and not to place we had planned. New time, new job, new place.

Pensguys said...

So you'll be here for an "extra" year, and possibly move summer 2011?

CRAZY....I would go plum CRAZY with changes like that!!

Dy said...

Hurry up and wait. :-P Yuck. Do you have new info, or are you in limbo for a while?

Love that sweater! And yeah, I have a ton of sweaters, which I have to rotate through quite rapidly during that week in February. *sigh*