The younger boys' season ended last Saturday but Cobb's team is having a playoff series. Game 1 was last night.......they lost but we had a lot of fun.
Normally, I'm very involved with the boys' teams but that hasn't worked out with Jacob's team this year. His practice overlaps two of the younger boys' practices, so I miss those. Matty's coach needed my help to keep the score book and run dugout so his games took priority if there was any overlap on game days.
That all added up to me being just an occasional spectator at my oldest child's games.
Last night however, they were short coaches so I volunteered to run the dugout and keep the score book. The coach was a little sceptical. His wife is not a sport person and he's the type of guy that assumes that all women are likewise. But he gave me the book and resigned that he'd have no stats and the batting order would be a mess. (In the interest of full disclosure, bringing my knitting onto the field may have contributed to his worry.)
Well, until I yelled, "Byran, you're in the box. Shawn, you're on deck. Chris, you're in the hole. David, you're up after Chris."
Every body on the team just looked at me in shock. Well, everyone but my son and a kid who was on my son's team last year.
That kid walked up to me and asked, "What are you knitting now, Miss Sheila?"
By the end of the game, all the boys were chatting with me and coach had accepted that a Mom could actually know something about baseball.
I've got a repeat performance tonight. I hope we win this one.
1 comment:
LOL didn't know which knitter he was talking to, did he?
Post a Comment