Sunday, June 21, 2009

Air conditioning is a wonderful thing

I spent all last week outside in the hot Georgia sun. The middle boys had Cub Scout Day camp and I volunteered to lead a den all week....Monday through Friday from 8:30 to 3:30. Outside. All day long. In over 80% humidity and temperatures up to 104 degrees on the baseball field.
(Jacqui, If you thought I was tan a couple of weeks ago...you should see me now!)


So it was me, a homeschooling housewife with four boys and Mr. M, a retired Command Sargent Major leading a den with 14 Webelos II's for the week. We had a great time...other than the heat, the lack of shade, and the crazy amount of walking from area to area.
The boys were so sweet. I wanted to take almost all of them home to my pack. We had boys from 4 different packs but by Tuesday afternoon you would have thought that they had known each other for years.

Mr. M and I hit it off wonderfully but we had already met each other. The Army is a crazy small place. Mr. M was the CSM when ZD was doing his company command and they worked together a few times as civilians.
It's kind of funny when you think about it. Needless to say, we were the only den that sang marching cadences as we moved from place to place. And it was easy for the camp director to find us when needed. She just had to follow the noise.

Monday was deadly. I drank 5 bottles of water and still had a massive headache by the end of the day. It was so hot that the BB and archery range had to close because the BB guns got too hot to hold.
Tuesday was a bit better. I broke down and wore a ball cap. I am not a hat person, but desperate times....
Wednesday was overcast. It was such a reprieve even though it was just as hot. The place Council chose for camp had not shade at all. None. We were all a bit more perky without the sun bearing down on us.
Thursday was a breeze because by then, we were all used to the heat, humidity, and sun.
Friday was just fun. Lots of play time. Lots of of water time.
But by 3 o'clock, even the boys were ready to go home for good.

It was a very rewarding experience. I met lots of other Cub Masters and leaders, spent some time with our District Executive, and got to spend the week with 14 nice young men in the making.

I'm sure glad it's over though.

No comments: