The local nature park needs an assistant part-time education coordinator.
Local as in less than 1 mile, if I don't take the shortcut, from my house through my neighborhood.
In fact, this park is my back yard neighbor. We walk down to this park almost every weekend as part of our family time.
My kids love the place!
The job is no more than 20 hours a week doing all the things that I am good at doing. Teaching classes, doing some wet land research, developing educational materials, and working on the website. My degree is in Biology and my area of interest was botany and herpetology.
Not a lot of work but still....it is time away from my family.
I would miss some games.
I would have to work around a "work" schedule.
I would lose some of my free time.
And we don't really need the money...but I would like to have little money of my own. (The SAHM's know what I mean.)
But, my kids could help with research projects. That's an incredible opportunity. And they would get to see me as something besides a mom.
I would make or rekindle connections in the "business" that I've lost in the 13 years that I've been out of the workforce. And I would finally stop those "you're not a productive citizen" letters that I get annually from the Social Security Agency. (I hate those letters.)
And I would be good for the park. I know my biology. I have worked on wetland research before. As my mom says, I can "identify every plant and animal out there." I love teaching science and I'm good at it. I could also get more homeschoolers involved in the classes at the center.
ZD says go for it. How often does your dream job open up close enough to bike to? He says that lots of parents miss an occasional baseball game and that our oldest son is plenty big enough to babysit while I work a few hours a block from our house. (With 4 houses nearby with SAHM available for any issues.) It's not like I do anything outside the house that doesn't involve the kids....plus they could come to classes.But I worry. Is my dream job worth any chaos it will bring my family?
5 comments:
I say GO FOR IT.
You know you want this, you know that the kids will be just fine.
GO.FOR.IT.
Put my kids on the top of the sign up lists for classes too - email me dates and times ;)
Give it a try. If it doesn't work out, at least you'll know and not be kicking yourself for letting the opportunity pass you by. Could be a great thing.
SISTER, you need to do this! How often does a dream job just land in your lap? What an incredible opportunity for you and what an asset for the community. DO IT!!
Try it, give it a real amount of time-like over the summer. I am a single Mom, I homeschool and I work part time thanks to a "dream" job that God provided in His time. This may be "His Time" for you. I'll pray!
Regards,
Lisa
I hope you did this. You'd be great at it.
Post a Comment