Picture this....I'm sitting on the floor reading the newspaper at the end of the evening. ZD is sitting nearby and telling me about his day. Dinner has been eaten and the kitchen is clean.
The boys are outside playing in the last bit of light of the day. They and the neighbor children have been playing with the marshmallow shooters, playing basketball, and riding bikes.
Suddenly, the door opens and my oldest staggers in carrying his 7-year-old brother who is crying with a terrified tone....blood is dripping down his face.
Yeah....that's how I responded too.
After we determined the injury and got the bleeding down to a manageable level, we turn our concern to the neighbor child that was also hurt.
I threw Andrew in the van and headed down to the circle to find my neighbor and her daughter in the street. We checkout each other's children and determined that they both needed to go to the ER.
Andrew with a deep gash in his head. Her daughter with hunk of lip hanging and bleeding.
So we headed to the children's ER. I've had numerous trips to this ER. The boys have been there for croup, stitches, high fevers, sprains, and a swallowed steel ball. But the neighbor didn't even know that we had a pediatric ER in the area. She was quite thankful for the level of care and that they were so quick to begin treatment.
The doctors joked about the two parts of the accident coming in together. And all were touched by the children's concern for each other. (Andrew kept asking how neighbor girl was doing. Neighbor girl kept asking about Andrew.)
The evening ended with stitches for the neighbor girl but thankfully no damaged teeth. Andrew left with 3 staples in his head.
Staples....that is something new. The first boy to get staples.
8 comments:
Oh man....
Staples, been there - THREE times.
I am so glad that the injuries weren't more severe.
Nothing like a little drama to get the energy flowing huh.
What the heck happened?!
Jennie,
Andrew and Neighbor girl crashed on their bikes. Her teeth went into his head and his head pushed her lip into her teeth and busted her lip terribly.
Holy canoli! I'm glad everyone is alright? My question is how do you react in a crisis? Are you calm (I'm imagining calm for some reason. I go "all business" serious even though I feel a wreck inside. No emotion shows until it is all over.
Sounds like a major head to head collision! Your oldest son did welll. Glad everyine is more-or-less OK.
We've not had staples, but have had pins in the arm.
It was a bit funny in a way about the neighbor having never been to the ER. I always figured everyone has taken their kids in a few times.
Happy Healing~
Oh, yowza! Glad they're both okay. My boys have, thankfully, not needed the emergency room very often. There have been some very bad jokes this summer that they're having a contest to see who can have the first broken bone (this is after several accidents where broken bones were distinct possibilities). They've now been informed, in no uncertain terms, that broken bones are not allowed. Period.
Raising my hand to say, that I didn't know we had a pediatric ER either! We've never had to go!m
Been there, done that with my two boys! Glad I stumbled on your blog!
http://acbfurtherupandfurtherin.wordpress.com/
Post a Comment